• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Average day 5-15-13

steveray said:
This is the disclaimer on a basement contractors contract.....Note #6.....I discussed it with the homeowner and god I hope it would not hold up in court....Heaven forbid you should get a code compliant finished basement for $27,500I like # 6, I will add that to my contracts. Except of course, I also deal with those pesky fire marshals, so I will add fire marshals to the list.

steveray said:
Hope you don't mind ICE, but I am going to start fluffing this thread to help you catch up with the other one.........
I look forward to seeing more from you ....and others.

steveray said:
Same illegal dwelling unit as the electric above.......[/url]
Looks like a vacuum cleaner hose, a cheap plastic tie and a pvc pipe. What were they trying to do?

The previous picture ... I don't think I have ever seen 2 pink conductors in a romex sheath.

e hilton said:
Looks like a vacuum cleaner hose, a cheap plastic tie and a pvc pipe. What were they trying to do?The previous picture ... I don't think I have ever seen 2 pink conductors in a romex sheath.
That is the washer hose into a noncompliant standpipe and we won't even get into the dryer vent, I used the offical ICE camera reacharound technique for that one.........I thought sometime pulling THHN into conduit was tough, I should pass him sheerly on effort to pull new conductors into old sheathing....No 2 pinks? How about just a green and a white?

Aluminum NM was common around here in the 60's from what I can tell.....And the noncompliant connections to copper are common 50 yrs later at the service change....

Is the problem that the wire nuts are not an acceptable al-cu connector? Is it ok if you use the anti-oxidant goop?

Yes.....No.....It might actually be OK, but it is not listed for this use......and they were missing the green bond screw, and I believe there were a couple of other issues....

It has been this way for a long time. The owner says it was like that when he bought the house a year ago.

14898498151_a56467c7c7_h.jpg

Last edited:
It never looked like it belonged there.

14911032412_ba0d30f293_b.jpg

But you've made it look worse than it deserves to be.

14724735769_c9d343e93a_b.jpg

14724819147_9f4610a93d_b.jpg

Last edited:
We might get to see some melted foam on this one.

14888390686_9a3d10b961_b.jpg

The contractor blew in from Arizona. They rode a wave of government rebate monies for solar water heaters. They have a top notch front office. They have never passed an inspection the first time out because they have no plumbers/carpenters. The heating element is a tank on the roof that, when filled, weighs 650 pounds so there is always a purlin to be installed. They never do that part unless I make it a correction. About half the time, there is nothing to land a purlin brace on.

I don't know if the train ran out of gravy or they realized there's an easier path to riches but they quit taking out plumbing permits and have started taking out electrical permits....for PV. There must still be 40 permits for solar water heaters that have languished and I am but one office in SoCal.

The only one that I have inspected is a four module system that resulted in 12 corrections. It was bizarre. Nothing on the roof was grounded. I fear that they will get a workman killed.

Who installs a 1000 watt solar system? Did they get a bigger microwave?

Last edited:
ICE said:
It never looked like it belonged there.But you've made it look worse than it deserves to be.
What was it? Some kind of chimney? There should be a code section about good taste.

How do they get by with a PV permit for solar hot water? Can't you void it for fraud? Is one of the corrections to add insulation to the joints?

ICE said:
It never looked like it belonged there.

But you've made it look worse than it deserves to be.

In my line of work I have realized it is the details that will kill you......

b. Panels continuous over two or more spans with long dimension (strength axis) perpendicular to supports. Spans shall be limited to values shown because of possible effect of concentrated loads.

c. Applies to panels 24 inches or wider.

This job is a re-roof over skip-sheathing.

14921006885_672b6b5218_b.jpg

Progress shows an improvement.

Last edited:
When work looks good and tight, it is because of the details. It is a point I try to cram forcefully down the necks of those I work with, or am responsible to oversee.

When a person looks at something and it looks really good, they probably don't know exactly why, it just looks right. Like putting even the really small returns on base or trim that stops without abutting another piece of trim. Running a router on exposed rafter tails. Mounting runs of plumbing on unistrut. Wiping your soldered joints with a wet rag. Making the runs of romex nice and strait.

All those things are a signature of caring, or going the extra mile.

I always even try to add little special things to the work so it all looks nice, like bonuses for the client. When you get good enough it doesn't really take any extra time.

These hacks will get it done, it will look better than before. But I guarantee that if I had done it it would stand out from the work around it.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
if I had done it it would stand out from the work around it.
I was piece working redwood siding on some tract houses. We did two and they wouldn't let me have any more. The potential buyers wanted the houses that we did over all the others. Truthfully, two was enough for me....give me an apartment building where I can make hay. Not to mention redwood slivers.

Now and then I would land a whale and do some rich guy's house in cedar. Nasty slivers there too. We would make it look like furniture....for a price. Every so often we would turn out an actual piece of furniture if there was rough-sawn spruce to be had.

Last edited:
The job is a kitchen remodel. The company is a bunch of guys in their twenties. This is the existing vent for a range hood fan. The new hood is a glass affair with tremendous sucking power. It sounds like a garbage truck. If you're missing a burger you might want to check the attic before you scold the dog.

15409178499_73730bdd4c_b.jpg

15402080807_bf04e35c01_b.jpg

15402082487_f7932f2f58_b.jpg

The duct didn't make it all the way outside so it exhausts in the attic. It is supported by what appears to be thermostat wire and the refrigerant line.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of getting a building permit for a re-roof. These wires stretch between the house and detached garage. They are low enough that I could reach them with my tester.

15593511701_d9fba6817d_b.jpg

Last edited: