• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

brick and block foundation

Thanks to all. I took a look at 403.1.6 as Francis mentioned...(every 6', 12" from corners, 2 bolts per plate, 1/2" min rod etc.) The inspector told me 5/8" rod was 2' from corner...exception 1 ??? He is probably wrong after listening to you guys. Ask me about the NEC. I will make sure the rods are in there. Their original spacing was up to 10' until I said something.
It was 90degrees when they set the blocks so I just looked at the gobrick link above and suprised to see 40 to 100 is considered normal. I have more reading to do.
Well....so do we think the half bricks on their side in the picture is ok? Sounds like it may be. If the footing had been level in the first place the 1st course of brick would have been full bricks on block, instead of the modified bricks to adjust foundation heighth. I built two houses before by myself but we thought it would be really quick if we went with a contractor this time. I think we got the wrong one. The workmanship is poor. I would like to know that the foundation will outlast me and my wife.

buck33k

Where not prescribed the code requires installation in accordance with accepted engineering practice.

Exception for other than ½ inch would necessitate "to use manufacturers' data, such as evaluation reports, to document the anchorage shear and tension capacities."

I know this is no consolation but I had issues with the contractor that built my house too. One of our conversations went; "how many houses have you built (with cathedral ceilings)?" My response was "how many are you qualified to design?"
That was the end of conversation, and I'm currently on good terms with the B.O.

Sounds like they owe you a new foundation

No matter what the indpector said

Have the structural engineer do an onsite

Sounds like you need a third party inspector for the rest of the job

At least a certain phases framing, check electrical hvac before insulating , etc

Footings are supposed to be no more than 1" in 10' or stepped, for levelness. My guess is someone didn't do the math right or set forms wrong so it didn't course out properly, thus having to cut bricks to fix, and easier to cut than to rip length wise. Not all contractors are equal. :(

Francis, cda, and my250r11......many thanks for your comments. The engineer called back about an hour ago. He said the foundation was "unconventional" at best. . I will post a few more pictures links. I wish I were better at that.

I tried to redo about four courses of a small column and it looked better than some of that work.

The bottom row of bricks is like a soldier course. The bricks appear to be the full 4" thickness of the brick wythe. It's odd, and an expensive way to compensate for an out-of-level footing, but I don't see anything that would scare me structurally for a residence.

It is true that bricks are stronger with the cores vertical, but residential foundations seldom load bricks to even 10% of their capacity.

The bottom row of bricks is like a soldier course. The bricks appear to be the full 4" thickness of the brick wythe. It's odd, and an expensive way to compensate for an out-of-level footing, but I don't see anything that would scare me structurally for a residence.

It is true that bricks are stronger with the cores vertical, but residential foundations seldom load bricks to even 10% of their capacity.

How about the workmanship?

And you feel this design will handle the load of the house??

Still wonder how they are going pour the floor

Francis, cda, and my250r11......many thanks for your comments. The engineer called back about an hour ago. He said the foundation was "unconventional" at best. . I will post a few more pictures links. I wish I were better at that.

I am guessing you will not sell this house, but if you do will a good inspector find problems with the foundation.???

I am guessing you will not sell this house, but if you do will a good inspector find problems with the foundation.???
That is one of the major considerations CDA. I know a great home inspector who would probably find this quickly as it is only a few inches under the ground. The neighbor across the street knows about this foundation .. and he knows everybody else in the neighborhood...would I have to disclose this upon sale and how would that go over? Would it hold up as well as full length bricks on block upon a level footing? Should I be getting a new foundation or a modified foundation to conform to an irregular footing. Its a big problem for me. If there is any risk I don't want it. Whats in it for me?

I agree with cda....you'll not be able to sell the house. The work that's been done so far looks awful. I shudder to think what the rest of the building will look like.

That is one of the major considerations CDA. I know a great home inspector who would probably find this quickly as it is only a few inches under the ground. The neighbor across the street knows about this foundation .. and he knows everybody else in the neighborhood...would I have to disclose this upon sale and how would that go over? Would it hold up as well as full length bricks on block upon a level footing? Should I be getting a new foundation or a modified foundation to conform to an irregular footing. Its a big problem for me. If there is any risk I don't want it. Whats in it for me?

I hate to say it this way, but if it passes all city inspection and you live in it,,, kind of well it has been blessed and I am guessing it will sell. Do you have to disclose anything, I am thinking no, because it passed,

Now if a good inspector looks at the house they might advise thier client to pass.

Guess you now at a contract attorney to see how your contract reads versus plans versus what they installed

I hate to say it this way, but if it passes all city inspection and you live in it,,, kind of well it has been blessed and I am guessing it will sell. Do you have to disclose anything, I am thinking no, because it passed,

Now if a good inspector looks at the house they might advise thier client to pass.

I just can't accept the workmanship.

I have a problem with the design. Building on a stack of bricks is something that I have not seen before.

Buck - not to worry - the brick laid on edge are just to get the masonry courses to the correct level. The load will be distributed evenly along the length of the wall, so these few brick on edge will not weaken the wall.
Your designer may be guilty of a little over-kill on the rods, but I assume that you are in a hurricane prone area & he just wants to make sure that if the house starts to blow away, it will take the foundation with it.

I have a problem with the design. Building on a stack of bricks is something that I have not seen before.
Buck - not to worry - the brick laid on edge are just to get the masonry courses to the correct level. The load will be distributed evenly along the length of the wall, so these few brick on edge will not weaken the wall.
Your designer may be guilty of a little over-kill on the rods, but I assume that you are in a hurricane prone area & he just wants to make sure that if the house starts to blow away, it will take the foundation with it.
bhale7wv.....Thanks for you're input. I appreciate it. I'm trying to rapidly satisfy my concerns and I've made good progress. The last step is the structural engineer inspection which I have requested. All things usually work out. I will post how it goes. Thanks again. Buck

A lot of info

From different people across the USA

That have seen things built different ways over many years

Good luck and hoping the rest of the build goes smooth!!!

Am I alone in this thinking? The drawing that was provided is a wall section detail so there might be more to the foundation story but apparently re-bar is not included. The airgap between the CMU and brick is huge and the wire reinforcement that was maybe supposed to be a brick tie looks out of place. There's no way that a building would be on top of that here in Ca. .... well maybe a hundred years ago but then we started having earthquakes and changed it up.

Haven't heard from Brent in a while.

It's hard to believe that something like that is allowed anywhere in this country, especially with a concrete slab going on the CMU. It's in North Carolina, they have hurricanes there.

Brent has to be going nuts, he can't stand the Cankled Hildbeast.

Am I alone in this thinking? The drawing that was provided is a wall section detail so there might be more to the foundation story but apparently re-bar is not included. The airgap between the CMU and brick is huge and the wire reinforcement that was maybe supposed to be a brick tie looks out of place. There's no way that a building would be on top of that here in Ca. .... well maybe a hundred years ago but then we started having earthquakes and changed it up.