• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Good morning snow winter 2009-2010

Re: Good morning snow winter 2009-2010

globe trekker said:
Sue,That looks like more of a Ghost Town that a 'snow town'. Or a view after a nuclear fallout...

Where is everybody? Are you that hard on the citizenry? :D

Actually, there is a ghost town website, can't remember url, and we are listed as a ghost town. A few folks wrote them and we are now only a semi-ghost town. :lol: It's the economy (no jobs) and the weather that is hard on the citizenry, not me. I'm waiting for the next census, curious to know how many people have moved or died.

The red brick building on the left is the old city hall, I'm all alone in this building. The neat stone building on the right side is the old blacksmith's shop. Unfortuantely, Al the blacksmith died a couple of years ago and it is not in use. I do miss the smell of coal smoke.

Sue, waxing nostalgic

Sue:

Is the economic problem due to the decline in the lumber industry? If so, is it due to the enviros stopping logging, or the current decline in housing?

conarb said:
Sue:Is the economic problem due to the decline in the lumber industry? If so, is it due to the enviros stopping logging, or the current decline in housing?
When they closed the mill, everything went down the tubes. This happened long before I got here so I'm not sure on the economics for closing the mill. My house came from the mill site and has been moved twice around the county, last time in 1963. I call it the original mobile home. :lol:

Our new major industry is low income lay abouts. No jobs=no employment=welfare+SSI. A lot of big city transplants because they can afford to live on SSI here or welfare and not worry about being required to work.

We also have a lot of government employers - USFS, BLM, CA Fish & Game (refuge), etc.

Sue, cynical, me? nah

-1 and snowing. The worst part of this storm is to our south and south east. Sue, really liked your description of the "old town". The lay-abouts? Well... ??? I really want to speak my mind here but will not.

Sue,

"A lot of big city transplants because they can afford to live on SSI here or welfare and not worry about being required to work."

I have a lot of kinfolk in Illinois (The Welfare State); and quite a few know how to work the system. One of my cousins has been a school bus driver for many years; and she goes on "rocking chair" (govment money) when school is out. Also have many that work(ed) in the coal mines and for the railroads. Europe has kept it's railroad systems working and when I was in Germany (1958-1962) you could go everywhere on a train (didn't need a car). We should have kept our railroad systems working and steel factories open.

Well, it's going to snow in Oklahoma today; so I'll get to build a snowman for Christmas. Us men are fortunate, because we never really have to grow up. :mrgreen:

Uncle Bob

Well, good morning! The 10-12 inches of snow I got in the last two days, that fell on the level, was whipped around last night with some good strong wind. I now see bare spots on my 80 acres so I'm thinking that the 7 miles of east-west county road might be drifted over a bit. I am going to fire up the Excursion and go exploring in a bit. Will see if I am spending Christmas Eve with the family in town. Maybe I'll grab a picture and try to post it!

EDIt: Oh, and did I mention, two below zero, wind chill around twenty below, wish me luck getting the diesel started, didn't plug it in last night, eek!

fatboy, Lucky you! We were on the north edge of this one. Only got 5 to 6". But it is cold. -9 this morning.

Zero snow but 20 miles east got 5". 17 this morning and sunny for now but it won't last past noon.

So how many are still dreaming of a white Christmas ;)

Wish we had some snow but only expecting Ice Storm tonight. I may get that bumper skiing in after church tonight :D I hope the weather people are correct and it turns to rain by early AM tomorrow or the drive down to Hoosier country tomorrow will be rough. Be safe out there in the Plains ;)

The local weather people are saying that I'm in the worst blizzard in Oklahoma City history (I'm in Norman 6 miles south of OKC). I'll have a white Christmas this year. I'm in hog heaven. :mrgreen:

Uncle Bob

I don't remember to many mountains in Texas so I guess you mean the cross country skis :lol:

It's coming down in Oklahoma; 30 and 50 car pile-ups all over the place. The most dangerous drivers in a blizzard are the ones who don't know enough to stay off the road. :(

There are still people trying to get out of the parking lot here.

(click on picture to enlarge)

The state has closed the major highways and people are still trying go shopping.

Uncle Bob

Al Gore must be somewhere in the midwest.

Record cold temperatures follow him everywhere he goes.

UB: You all are just getting a dusting! When it gets up to 2' then you have snow. I will fish tomorrow! Only about a foot and a half left here so it is now deemed safe to walk the rocks! :lol:

I will most likely use woolly worms for winter Walleye!

Guadalupe Peak is the highest mountain in Texas (8,749 feet), just 10 miles from the New Mexico border and it may be climbed by a relatively easy 4.25 mile (one-way) trail that starts from the NPS campground near the main Guadalupe Mountains National Park visitor center

Record snow for Oklahoma City in 24 hour period; 14.1". Uncle Bob is having a white Christmas for the first time in years.

I'm on the 3rd floor of an Extended Stay Hotel (Value Place), near I-35; and am enjoying watching the dingbats trying to get their cars and trucks out of the snowdrifts.

RJJ, "Walleye" yum. :) . I had to settle for fried eggs, bacon, toast, and a hot cup of tea. I would love to have had fried fish, fried potatoes, and pork-n-beans.

Uncle Bob

-10 here and wow is the wind blowing! We will only catch the west edge of this one. 4 to 8" additional in the next 24 hours. Man I'm glad I do not have to go anywhere! :D

Sleet and freezing rain for Christmas Day... YIPEE! :(

Hope you all had a great Christmas (or insert mid-winter festival of choice ;) )

Next stop, 2010. Wasn't that the name of a movise a while back?

JP,

The cold weather has been sending folks from the north to Texas and Oklahoma for some time now; along with the economy.

Here is a 10 day forcast for Central Texas;

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... v_outdoors

It's ok, if you can stand the hot summers,

After our wierd blizzard in Oklahoma; I went out yesterday; and hundreds of vehicles are buried in snow, on the sides of the roads and in some cases on the roads from the Oklahoma blizzard. Black ice is making it dangerous to drive today; but, they'll try it anyway. Were pretty well froze in but, the winds died down and the sun is coming out.

Uncle Bob