• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Home Depot Crew

Re: Home Depot Crew

Rick,

You are right on some small part of your postings.

I am not going to risk my life or that of my inspectors to make an inspection. If it is not safe, the inspection is put on hold until it is safe to enter the site and the sturcture.

I will go find the contractor in charge and explain the problem to him. If he doesn't fix the problem, I have been known to drop a dime to OSHA and make a complaint.

I don't think there is a person on this board that is going to risk life and limb to get an inspection made. The vast majority of the posters on this board seem to be sane, rational and have a great love of life. They are also in this business because they like what they do and get a good feeling being involved in public safety. They sure aren't in it for the money. They are going to do what they can and what is right, maybe just not the way you think it oughta be done.

Am I (or my inspectors) going to call out every little percieved OSHA violation we see or stop work if we think we see something? NO!!!! Like stated above if you do that you better have an up to date and very good resume "Cuz you ain't gonna be working anywhere for long and after a while only flipping burgers or something."!!!!

So give your compadres on this board a little credit and chill out. You just went through an entire (very long) discussion about unqualified persons reviewing structural calcs, why do you want unqualified persons stopping jobs for OSHA regs they haven't been train to enforce.

In the real world, slowing down a plan review because of making an incorrect call out on a structural calc (presuming the right calcs are untimately used) cost everyone a little more time in the permit cycle and usually not a lot of money to anyone. Make an incorrect call out on an OSHA reg you have no business making in the first place and shutting down a job, you better get your and the City's checkbooks out because sooner or later you are gonna get called on it and you are going to pay for the damages you caused to the developer for lost time, interest on his money etc. etc. etc. And that can be a lot of money in a short period of time.

texas transplant said:
Rick,You are right on some small part of your postings.

I am not going to risk my life or that of my inspectors to make an inspection. If it is not safe, the inspection is put on hold until it is safe to enter the site and the sturcture.

I will go find the contractor in charge and explain the problem to him. If he doesn't fix the problem, I have been known to drop a dime to OSHA and make a complaint.

I don't think there is a person on this board that is going to risk life and limb to get an inspection made. The vast majority of the posters on this board seem to be sane, rational and have a great love of life. They are also in this business because they like what they do and get a good feeling being involved in public safety. They sure aren't in it for the money. They are going to do what they can and what is right, maybe just not the way you think it oughta be done.

Am I (or my inspectors) going to call out every little percieved OSHA violation we see or stop work if we think we see something? NO!!!! Like stated above if you do that you better have an up to date and very good resume "Cuz you ain't gonna be working anywhere for long and after a while only flipping burgers or something."!!!!

So give your compadres on this board a little credit and chill out. You just went through an entire (very long) discussion about unqualified persons reviewing structural calcs, why do you want unqualified persons stopping jobs for OSHA regs they haven't been train to enforce.

In the real world, slowing down a plan review because of making an incorrect call out on a structural calc (presuming the right calcs are untimately used) cost everyone a little more time in the permit cycle and usually not a lot of money to anyone. Make an incorrect call out on an OSHA reg you have no business making in the first place and shutting down a job, you better get your and the City's checkbooks out because sooner or later you are gonna get called on it and you are going to pay for the damages you caused to the developer for lost time, interest on his money etc. etc. etc. And that can be a lot of money in a short period of time.
I don't inspect you or any code officials to cite every little OSHA violation. The common stuff. The stuff that any contractor or construction worker who went to college in construction related field would have been required to learn (industrial safety) before they would be allowed to use the tools in the shop.

I would expect a code official to mostly point out the obvious things and stuff that presents a danger to you. A Stop Work Order is just a tool to stop construction work so it doesn't proceed on until you have completed your inspection. This is the lapping limitation that I been talking about and you referred to. You and your department can easily purchase a copy of the OSHA regs and common violations. They do publish these things.

People working on a pitched or any other roof without sufficient parapets or other protective barriers from falling off the roof would require fall arrest gear. That would be an obvious violation. Having a copy of the OSHA regs in the truck/car or whatever vehicle you are driving to site then you can check what you think you see. It is a judgment call of course. If someone is dangerously using a nail gun, you'll tell that ___________ off. :lol:

There are things that you can be familiar with that is obvious. If it isn't obvious then you will not likely note it or base a decision on it. Do I expect you to call out if someone has the right filters in the breathing masks. Heck no. You may check for yourself and brush up on the requirements for such equipment you will need for your particular inspection. Depends on the immediate circumstance. Of course, you will check your mask if it has the appropriate filters that are up to date and if they have been used. Other little things for your own safety.

You would have to make a judgment call on the circumstances.

I agree, with ya, we have been through this a bit. Don't cite what you don't know. Lucky enough OSHA stuff is published and fairly black & white (Do's and Don'ts, shall and shall not). Unlike the nature of structural calcs which are quite a bit.... fun.

texasbo said:
Every single person in this thread has tried to diplomatically tell you this, including myself, so now I'll just come out and say it: You don't know what you're talking about. .
I wasn't trying to be diplomatic.

brudgers said:
texasbo said:
Every single person in this thread has tried to diplomatically tell you this, including myself, so now I'll just come out and say it: You don't know what you're talking about. .
I wasn't trying to be diplomatic.

You, diplomatic?