• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector won't climb the ladder.

Thank Francis, The honor is all mine sir.

To kinda tell CDA how I found you all here is really due to my smartphone. I of course have a lot of apps like everyone else might have and in looking for more I typed in "Building Codes" and well guess what, you all popped up. I then noticed a few faces that I have spoken with over the years or who have attended my seminars before and I said...these are my people, guys i can relate to so heck yes I am going to join. This looks like a great message forum and it is dedicated to helping people....that's what I'm all about so I look forward to joining in as my time permits.

On a side note...Francis I am now the Co-Chairman of the educational committee with the VBCOA so I would like to speak with you on what your Region wants in the way of education so I can make sure we bring it to you. also we are having a training event for Region 5 titled "Grounding and Bonding" in January and I wanted to make sure you are aware of it and the door is always open if you would like to attend as well as anyone else in your Region. Anyway, thanks for the welcome and hopefully I can assist some of you along the way and hopefully you all can assist me as well.

Thanks Guys and God Bless !

Last edited by a moderator:
Daddy-0- said:
Greetings Paul. I have a supervisor that won't go in the crawl or the mud. LoL.
That supervisor needs to retire....lol....I would not ask any of my guys to do anything I would not do...so if they go in the mud...I go in the mud !

I climb ladders and crawl under buildings. There are days when the back hurts and I still climb that ladder, it's in my job description.

I walk roofs but on the flip side, the county doesn't, their choice. The local contractors are good about providing good sturdy ladders, height appropriate for the inspection.

"Thanks Guys and God Bless !"

Don't forget the female contributers, there are a few here. :)

fatboy said:
"Thanks Guys and God Bless !"Don't the female contributers, there are a few here. :)
So as not to confuse - You left out the forget part of: "don't 'forget' the female contributors."

Admittedly, I refused to climb a ladder last week. I just returned to work from spinal fusion and was not comfortable with the height yet. Otherwise, I go out of my way to get to the inspection. I have had some contractors tell me that for insurance reasons, I can not use their ladders, and I tell them to wait outside and I use them anyway. This is a samll community and we all work together and get along.

Greetings all,

Well I've been known to climb ladders for contractors that don't have an ATTITUDE! So it just depends. I was a contractor for a lot of years. When I started in the inspection business my boss at the time gave me some sound advice. "Just treat the contractors etc. the way you would have wanted to be treated." That's the way I handle it. Works pretty well most of the time except for the C.A.V.E. men (Citizens Against Virtually Everything)

BSSTG

Should've seen the look on the concrete guys faces when I climbed the 12' formed wall and started walking it for inspection!

Well I climb ladders until I get another one like the last one about a year ago. It looked like it was 500 feet tall standing from the ground looking up... Probably 20 maybe 30 feet. Don't know but all I know is I climbed that one and I wil NEVER climb another one like it!!

I had to go change my underwear afterwards. Not because I soiled them but because I was sucking air from the lower region!! Soooo as someone else stated.. it's time to retire! Okay you talked me into it!!! The last day of June 2012 will be my last day as a BO. :)

Mule said:
Well I climb ladders until I get another one like the last one about a year ago. It looked like it was 500 feet tall standing from the ground looking up... Probably 20 maybe 30 feet. Don't know but all I know is I climbed that one and I wil NEVER climb another one like it!!I had to go change my underwear afterwards. Not because I soiled them but because I was sucking air from the lower region!! Soooo as someone else stated.. it's time to retire! Okay you talked me into it!!! The last day of June 2012 will be my last day as a BO. :)
Your just playing around right? Mule's never go out to pasture.

You guys better be careful! The next steak you eat may be that of a mule! :)

Or the next time your choppin on those mountain oysters you better think about it.....these could be Mules!!!! :cheers

Nope! Not kidding. I'll turn 62 in July of 2012 and I want to get as much SS as I can! :)

I plan on doing plan review and consulting work though. I want to be one of those guys that goes in and argues.... I mean discusses code issues with plan reviewers and BO's for clients. I have a son that is a building superintendent and one of his subdivisions is in a smaller AHJ. He is always calling me and saying....Dad can they write me a red tag on that? I always say that they can write you a red tag on anything ..now if it legitimate.. that's a different ball game! :) He'll go in and discuss things with the inspector and a lot of times they'll see it "his" way. :)

Of course I have this forum to thank for a lot of the knowledge on things that I was unsure of!

Thanks guys and gals!!!!! You're the best!

& & & &

Well, as long as you stay on this forum and contribute regularly,

it might be a bad thing to retire and start raking in some cash.

On an aside issue... do you have any idea as to when the UT

of Arlington will be putting up their schedule for the annual

Building Officials Conference?

I'm needing some CEU's and I wasn't desiring to go to the

cold climate of Colorado in March to attend their upcoming

annual classes.....In my older years, my blood has started

to thicken, and the cold weather isn't as appealing as

the warmer climates. :eek:

& & & &

I don't know when it will be posted on the web site but I have a list of tentative classes proposed. They are pretty much set in stone but still gathering information from other moderators. If you like I could send that info to you!

I do know that it will take place May 21st through May 25th 2012. Hope you can make it... I'll buy you lunch (I'm cheap though...lunch is part of the all day registrants) :)

So if a contractor expects his tradesmen to show up to a project with the proper tools and equipment in order to do his job, why is it that the same is not expected from the inspectors? Our policy is not to lend out tools and equipment for people to do thier jobs that they are getting paid to do but we'll provide anything an insector asks in order to get that inspection. Just saying

I'll climb any height to get to where I've got to be.... as well crawl through and under where folks think I'll never go. Inspection is just that... Inspecting every possible detail............ POP