• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Just saying hello

My name is Carol, and just between ewenme, I buy my own set of code books to keep at home, just in case someone calls after office hours or on the weekends. And the truth is, those calls have come in, not from the jurisdiction where I work, but from the jurisdiction where I live and used to work. Scary. But, I am what I am and that's all that I am...wait. No, I'm a quilter, knitter, photographer, writer and painter too. Those pursuits help to keep me sane an distracted from code changes and code violations. I'm looking forward to retirement so I can become a Code Consultant; 'have code book, will travel.' Anyone going to the Annual Business Meeting and Code Hearings in Charlotte? This year will be my first time attending. I'm excited!

Hello, my name is Mark, and I am an Archiolic. I'll read magazines with pictures of code violations after code violations. It used to bother me, but now I self medicate. Now when I see those pictures of stairs without guardrails, I draw in the code compliant railings and have another beer. I've never been happier and I highly recommend my 2 step process (draw it in & drink).

globe,

Thats it, #9. Maybe I should have misspelled it like "kokles" or something. I don't think that would get censored.

Yes, I'm still the Plans Examiner Supervisor. I just don't like to toot my own horn. (I wonder if "toot" will get censored...)

GPE

GPE,

I think a properly installed bath fan will take care of it!

I'am sorry, I thought I was on the residential mechanical thread.

pc1

Hello, this is my first ever post, but I feel like I know some of you already. I get angry when someone in a movie sets off every sprinkler in a building by holding a lighter up to one head. Also, when they climb an elevator shaft in order to find an open duct just pouring into the shaft. I often have to leave the room when 'Flip This House' or the like is on the TV. When trick-or-treating in my neighborhood, I have to avert my eyes from the 'construction' of the front porches that some of the locals have thrown up, otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk my kids up to the door. It is oddly appropriate, on Halloween, I stand terrified at their doors hoping we will escape with our lives...

My name is Cindy.. I've been a code geek for over 20 years... my fingers won't let me stay out of a good code discussion. I knew I wasn't alone.. and wasn't it Jake who kept moving the curtains up and out of the way of the "other exits" in Denver? Exit signs are my weakness too... (especially those that read TIX3 when I look at them... drives me nuts).

I've tried to rehabilitate.. but I'm a lost cause.. sorry .. I have code books all over my living room... my husband just shakes his head and mutters "so sad"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

My name is Wilson and I am currently addicted to my new I-POD. It does have the ICC app. which should alert you that I too have other problems with code addiction. Also bought a level tool app and an angle finder. When I was new to the job I met a wife of a local B.O. at a training class. She stood up in front of the room full of students and said, "your wives will hate you for taking this job. I can't take my husband anywhere anymore. He embarrasses me."

Welcome to the Lurker...spread the word. Nothing but friendly addicts here.

ok, after reading this thread, i know i came to the right place! some of you are familiar from ICC forum (RIP) since then, i've been trying to figure out the code all alone.....so happy to find this place!

Since Jeff ( and others ) have built it, ...they will come! :D

BTW, Welcome " ggmarch " to The Codes Forum! :)

Please forgive my lack of manners " Lurker ".

A Most Hearty Welcome to THE Code Forum! :cool:

My name is Jon and I too have a problem. My wife also finds it intolerable that I can not enter an establishment with out looking for, and pointing out code violations. But like Mule said, she can now point them out too; which makes me feel safe for when she is out and about with our daughter with out me. I feel safer knowing she looks for, and can recognize a 'bad EXIT' and head to a better one. And it is all because I have a problem.

Welcome Lurker and ggmarch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, my name is Scott, and I am a codeaholic. In new restaurants, church, and other assembly spaces with which I am not familiar, instead of participating in the festivities, I count ceiling tiles, multiply by 2 and 4 and then divide by 15 (or other appropriate number) to mentally calculate occupant load. I once almost got thrown out of The Ball Park at Arlington for unlocking the manual flush bolts on the second leaf of the souvenir shop doors, and then doing it a second time when the security guard locked them again. I keep code books at home, so I can answer code questions when customers call my private number that I gave them, and so I can participate on this board.

My idea of recreation is participating in Monty Python talk on Inspectpa forum.

Texasbo: We must love what we do! You are all sick and need help! Doctors says, at least three posts a day will calm the nerves,steady the shaking hands and improve eye sight. If that is a cure then four posts will prolong life.!