• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

More stupidity at its best

No, you didn’t read that incorrectly, whether you understood or not is another matter. I’m not familiar with the T.V show that you watch, my information comes from being on site 10 years ago and being in contact with residences that have been there since the 50’s. Not being racist, just stating point of view from my experience.
I was born in Newport Beach, grew up there, and live there........ starting in '59.....

News Report: Does this mean the end of Halloween as we know it?

For Christian Critzer, a Christmas tree farmer who lives with his wife and two children in Waynesboro, the Christmas tree donation drive was his way of paying it forward: a way to show his gratitude for his wife having recently won a battle with breast cancer and inspire hope in those still fighting their own battles and dealing with the aftermath of cancer.

Using what he knows best—Christmas trees—Critzer focused his efforts on raising money for the “Fight Like a Girl” campaign at the Charlottesville, Va.-based Martha Jefferson hospital, a fund for cancer survivors to buy custom wigs as they recover from their long battles with cancer and chemotherapy. The donations are specifically intended to subsidize the purchase of people buying custom wigs while dealing with cancer treatment. As Critzer learned through his wife’s own battle with cancer from this time last year, wigs—often a necessity for women who’ve lost their hair because of chemotherapy treatments—aren’t covered by insurance.

Using his front yard on a busy street as the staging ground, Critzer attempted to first sell the trees, with the hopes of giving the proceeds to the cancer fund. That all changed when Waynesboro zoning officials threatened Critzer with a citation for operating a commercial enterprise in a residentially zoned area. Determined to do his good deed, Critzer decided to give the trees away, asking a donation in return. “People are hurting,” said Critzer. “A free tree is a blessing. So we decided we’ll offer them for free. If people can afford a donation, that’s what we’ll give to the cancer center, and problem solved.” Unfortunately for the Christmas tree farmer, Waynesboro zoning officials didn’t agree and cited him for violating the city’s zoning ordinances.

The Critzers live on Rosser Avenue, one of the busiest roads in Waynesboro, adjacent to big box stores like Wal-Mart and Martins. According to Critzer, the big Martins sign shines its light through his window 24 hours a day, so it’s not as if his Christmas tree drive is bringing an unusual amount of traffic to the area. Nor does his little “tree lot” seem to be overly distracting. Around this time of year, lots of people tend to go all out, decking their houses and populating their front lawns with so many lights, holiday figurines and blow-ups as to start their own Christmas spectacular. In comparison, Critzer’s front lawn is almost stark, with little more than a string of lights, a small assortment of Christmas trees and a simple sign encouraging donations in exchange for the trees.

Despite Critzer’s various attempts to find a solution that would allow him to keep the tree drive going, Waynesboro officials were adamant that he should shut it down, going so far as to threaten his landlord with fines and issuing a cease and desist order against Critzer. Not wanting to cause his landlord hardship, and not wanting to be a burden to his wife and two children, Christian took down the trees, the lights and the signs. His goal of raising $1000 for the cancer fund remains unrealized and his hopes of paying it forward have been dashed. At least for this year, unless The Rutherford Institute, which has come to Critzer’s defense, can work their own Christmas miracle. Either way and to his credit, Critzer insists that next year, he’ll be back with 100 Christmas trees.

So what’s the lesson to be learned here? Is it that no good deed goes unpunished? Certainly, in an age of bureaucracy and over criminalization, it can seem that way. Is the problem, as Critzer suggests that the government needs to revisit its priorities and focus on solving the real problems plaguing communities rather than creating problems where there are none? There’s definitely something to be said for that. “There’s a lot going on in this town that needs attention,” said Critzer. “I don’t think it’s my cancer charity.”

Paying It Forward at Christmas and Always, One Act of Kindness at a Time

Francis

I could see this happening . . .

A guy stopped at a local gas station & after filling his tank, he paid the bill and bought a soft drink. He stood by his car to drink his cola and watched a couple of men working along the roadside.

One man would dig a hole two or three feet deep and then move on.

The other man came along behind him and filled in the hole. While one was digging a new hole, the other was 25 feet behind filling in the hole.

The men worked right past the guy with the soft drink and went on down the road. "I can't stand this," said the man tossing the can into a trash container and heading down the road toward the men.

"Hold it, hold it," he said to the men. "Can you tell me what's going on here with all this digging and refilling?"

"Well, we work for the government and we're just doing our job," one of the men said. "But one of you is digging a hole and the other fills it up. You're not accomplishing anything. Aren't you wasting the taxpayers' money?"

"You don't understand, mister," one of the men said, leaning on his shovel and wiping his brow. "Normally there's three of us: me, Elmer and Leroy. I dig the hole, Elmer sticks in the tree, and Leroy here puts the dirt back.

Elmer's job's been cut... so now it's just me an' Leroy.

Francis

The story about Dani the deer, the Connersville couple that saved her and the state agency prosecuting them for illegally keeping the deer spurred plenty of chatter.

News websites across the country and overseas played the story prominently Tuesday, leaving volumes of online commentary in its wake.

Jennifer and Jeff Counceller, the couple at the center of the controversy, made an appearance on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” where host George Stephanopoulos’ comment was that this was a story “guaranteed to make you mad.”

And a Facebook page devoted to the saga found roughly 20,000 likes after four days online and comments of support from every state and from countries around the world.

Yet despite the buzz surrounding Dani the deer and the Councellers, there was one corner of the world with almost nothing to say on the subject — anyone in an official position to influence the situation.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources, which issued a news release in December about the ?arrest of a man who killed a wild turkey out of season, still had no comment Tuesday about this case.

Legislators who oversee the DNR had nothing to say. A voicemail left in the office of the prosecutor handling the case drew no response. And the place where the buck stops in state government, the office of Gov. Mike Pence, didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The Councellers — Jeff is a cop, Jennifer is a nurse — face a March trial date on a charge of illegal possession of a deer, a misdemeanor that could mean 60 days in jail and fines of $500 each.

The DNR brought the misdemeanor charges against the Councellers. Its incident report recounts a story similar to what the Councellers have shared.

In 2010, Jeff found the deer on a police call. The animal appeared to have been attacked by a coyote. His wife, who had experience tending their horses and dogs, applied her skills to the deer. The fawn healed but grew slowly as the Councellers kept it in their care, in a pen, for nearly two years.

The couple said they intended to set the animal free last fall. But the DNR discovered it in their possession in June and ordered it killed. The DNR’s report says it was a matter of “safety,” without elaborating, but the DNR website says deer can have parasites and diseases that can be passed to humans. The agency has a history, too, of trying to keep “wild populations wild.”

On its execution day, the deer turned up missing. The Councellers say they don’t know how but admit that Dani had lots of friends.

The Councellers said they didn’t know that keeping the deer was illegal, and they never tried to hide what they were doing. They say they even sought alternative placement for Dani in animal rescue facilities and petting zoos, without success.

Today, they don’t dispute that they broke the law, but they say their mistakes were not willful and their good intentions should count for something. “We could not walk away,” Jeff Counceller said. “Maybe that’s where we went wrong, but we couldn’t walk away.”

An online petition seeking to have the charges dropped had more than 16,000 signatures Tuesday night. An online legal defense fund had garnered more than $1,000 in donations.

Beyond that, comments on Facebook, media websites, calls and emails to the Star, the reaction follows two main paths: understanding of the position the Councellers found themselves in when faced with a suffering animal, and outrage that a government agency doesn’t have better things to do with its time.

“I find the actions of the DNR in this case outrageous and nonsensical,” wrote Suzanne Murray of Carmel.

“This is just beyond the point of crazy,” said Barbara Wilson, 77, of Mooresville, who called the Star after calling both the DNR and the governor’s office.

The DNR arrested 257 people for illegal possession of a deer last year, a charge frequently applied to poachers. It’s safe to say none of those cases created a buzz the way this one has.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130129/NEWS/301290318/Couple-charged-crime-compassion?nclick_check=1