• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Construction in Pennsylvania - Inspected and Signed Off

You guys aren't counting correctly. I recently worked a day in a city with a population of 210,000. Five inspectors handled 243 inspections for that day....at least that was the story.
Waite... what time did they start, did they take the required morning and afternoon break? What about bodily functions and windshield time, was that calculated. When did they have time for education workshops and web classes? No doctor or dentist appointments? Did they count each item on the inspection notebook paper as an inspection or was it by address. What about re-inspections or when they have to have their supervisors come out to make the call, that takes time!

I think that's a story!

You didn't even mention texting, fueling the vehicle or talking to their squeze, there's something wrong here!

inspector negligence.
It's not negligence, it's how much customer service the municipality wants to afford (again, ASSUMING WRB is not a required inspection)...Negligence would be knowingly not doing something you are required to do....I had a guy call me ignorant and negligent at the same time once and I politely informed him "Sir....I can't be both"

Just asking.. wouldn't you have to have the vinyl siding manufacture's installation instructions? Do they still allow felt paper or fan-fold insulation? What about Zip panels, would they get a pass meeting the vapor requirement?...just asking?

We don't require a permit here for vinyl siding installs but like the "Jar" sez, we still have some responsibility even if it's not one of our predetermined inspections How many do not inspect a re-roof job?

Also, it's amazing how many window guys install a replacement window and it doesn't meet egress requirements for a bedroom or tempered glass over the tub or a header when enlarging the window opening.

Also, it's amazing how many window guys install a replacement window and it doesn't meet egress requirements for a bedroom or tempered glass over the tub or a header when enlarging the window opening.

We require permits for window replacements in bedrooms and for enlarging lintels on load-bearing walls.

Only written up three egress window violations in the last few years (IIRC) the suppliers in our area are pretty solid characters.

a replacement window and it doesn't meet egress requirements for a bedroom
This may be unique to California Residential Code.

R310.2.5 Replacement windows. Replacement windows installed in buildings meeting the scope of this code shall be exempt from the maximum sill height requirements of Section R310.2.2 and the requirements of Section R310.2.1, provided that the replacement window meets the following conditions:
1. The replacement window is the manufacturer's largest standard size window that will fit within the existing frame or existing rough opening. The replacement window is of the same operating style as the existing window or a style that provides for an equal or greater window opening area than the existing window.
2. The replacement window is not part of a change of occupancy.

It would not bother me to inspect house wrap. If someone calls our office for a house wrap inspection the office clerk will say we don't need to inspect it per company instructions. If I go out and tell them to remove the siding so I can inspect the house wrap I would not keep my job very long.

If you are all talking about how many inspections you can do a day, sometimes I travel 2 hours one way to an inspection, I have to do many hours of safety webinars, I also do plan reviews at home then drive an hour to the office. answer a lot of emails, make phone calls, write up reports, deal with my company's old slow computer take classes and webinars for required CEU's. I am lucky to get 4 hours of inspections in a day. That goes with all 5 of us inspectors in one office.

I've not gone out of my way to inspect housewrap, but I have observed violations and such in spot inspections.

I cover a huge area, with a lot of driving. 6-8 inspections/day is reasonable. I take the interwebs/computer with me when I go.

Busiest day I had was 11 inspections... Did seven one afternoon in a municipality, but a lot of those were easy things.

It would not bother me to inspect house wrap. If someone calls our office for a house wrap inspection the office clerk will say we don't need to inspect it per company instructions
So the company profits are more important than protecting the customers who are paying the permit fee and will live in the home? So its ok not to do it because the company says so? Why inspect anything at all if you are going to pick and choose?

If I go out and tell them to remove the siding so I can inspect the house wrap I would not keep my job very long.
Why don't you test that theory? What you think and what would happen may be two different things. You don't carry a zip tool to verify? Who checked window flashing?

If you are all talking about how many inspections you can do a day, sometimes I travel 2 hours one way to an inspection,
That is a business decision your employer makes for the profit of the company and not for the good of the community. I may have to remind everyone why we even have careers in this industry.

What is funny here is that in the past I've worked directly with L&I and was an expert witness against two different inspectors in Pennsylvania. Both were incompetent. At first, when they were decertified by the state and lost their careers, I felt guilty. That guilt went away quickly when you see what the families were going through trying to live in a house with problems. Watching a young family in their first house with their wife pregnant crying because the kitchen ceiling kept cracking every time there was a snow accumulation or strong winds because the house was not built, nor inspected properly.

And for the record, knowing I would get some of these responses, the photo in question is from one of the houses that I inspected in PA as an expert witness against the contractor and inspector. This was one of the many houses in the development that had significant problems. The sheer incompetence and ignorance of the inspector who was doing all of the inspections in a township on the outskirts of Bangor, PA was staggering. I remember when my cell phone rang and it was the district supervisor for L&I who called to tell me that they were able to confirm my findings on this house and the inspector was told he may want to hire an attorney as they were going to start the process to decertify him.

What I know is that if you always do what is right and required, you can't go wrong. There is a big difference between looking past a staple that is 1" further away from where it is supposed to be and not doing your job because that is the culture. You do your job to the best of your ability with the time you have.

The only inspections required by the PA Uniform Construction Code:
1. Foundation inspection
2. Plumbing, mechanical and electrical inspection
3. Frame and masonry inspection
4. Wall board inspection

The inspector may conduct other inspections to ascertain compliance with the UCC or municipal ordinances.
The inspector shall conduct a final inspection of completed construction work.
Then you should stop doing accessibility inspections too since they are apparently not required according to you.

• Wow
Reactions: ICE
This may be unique to California Residential Code.

R310.2.5 Replacement windows. Replacement windows installed in buildings meeting the scope of this code shall be exempt from the maximum sill height requirements of Section R310.2.2 and the requirements of Section R310.2.1, provided that the replacement window meets the following conditions:
1. The replacement window is the manufacturer's largest standard size window that will fit within the existing frame or existing rough opening. The replacement window is of the same operating style as the existing window or a style that provides for an equal or greater window opening area than the existing window.
2. The replacement window is not part of a change of occupancy.
We have similar stuff...

So the company profits are more important than protecting the customers who are paying the permit fee and will live in the home? So its ok not to do it because the company says so? Why inspect anything at all if you are going to pick and choose?
The inspector doesn't make the rules of engagement...well at least not in Rick's case.

Why don't you test that theory? What you think and what would happen may be two different things.
He works for a company, not a municipality. A company can fire at will. My entire career would have been stunted had I worked for a company.

That is a business decision your employer makes for the profit of the company and not for the good of the community. I may have to remind everyone why we even have careers in this industry.
It's not always about the money. Take Los Angeles for example, the city issues a re-roof permit but lets the roofer self certify with no inspections. The state of Ca. is moving towards allowing the solar contractors to self certify. And as to the why we have careers in the industry ... really? There's as many whys as there are inspectors and but a few are as focused as you.

What is funny here is that in the past I've worked directly with L&I and was an expert witness against two different inspectors in Pennsylvania. Both were incompetent.
Two down, thousands to go.

So here is a milestone checklist that was provided for the last project I had to clean up after someone else started, and could not complete it.

I could never understand how in jurisdictions they have a sheathing inspection, but don't have a building wrap inspection before the siding goes up, we count the nails and gaps, but nothing else.

In some jurisdictions, they explain, that they need to see the wrap installed before the siding goes up, or at a minimum provide photographic proof as it is going up when the siding is being done, because it is part of energy conservation inspection.

Many other AHJ look at it the opposite way, its not on the checklist, so be it and how do they inspect it after its up without having them remove it.

Some siding can be pulled off to check like the picture, others like Hardie board can be a bit more difficult to check after it is up.

I knew more than a few siding contractors that always complained they could never get anything done because of waiting for inspections, and on top of that clients screaming what's the delay. I told them I always buy a newspaper every morning and take pictures of the areas we are working on with the paper clearly shown and now I have some proof to show we did it right. But work it out with the inspector before you cover it, or someday it will come back to haunt you.

The question isn't about how can you require it, the real question is how can't you?

Inspection Milestones to call for PA.png

We can't see everything.
We can inspect the forms for a footing but we don't know if they pour it that afternoon or next week after a rain storm.
We check rough inspections before drywall but who knows what changes before they drywall in a week or two.
We could inspect the house wrap and it could blow off in the wind before they side it the following week.
We can inspect the arc fault breakers and we could be looking at the same ones on the next house they build.

The workman that install siding without the wrb probably have wants and warrants.

I had another Muni call me and ask if I had added a house wrap inspection to my list and asked how would that be done? Here the wall is built on the floor deck then raised with wall jacks. They have excess wrap at the ends that will turn the corner.

The contractor could have you out to inspect three to four times on a first floor and again that many times on the second floor.

I had another Muni call me and ask if I had added a house wrap inspection to my list and asked how would that be done? Here the wall is built on the floor deck then raised with wall jacks. They have excess wrap at the ends that will turn the corner.

The contractor could have you out to inspect three to four times on a first floor and again that many times on the second floor.
No....they have to change their process to make you happy.....Don't you know that it's about us?.....Or maybe pictures or video....