• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Construction in Pennsylvania - Inspected and Signed Off

The wrap goes on as the siding goes on. Nobody would wrap the building and then start the siding.…especially with a two story. You just have to trust them for some things.

The wrap goes on as the siding goes on. Nobody would wrap the building and then start the siding.…especially with a two story. You just have to trust them for some things.
With the zipsystem, the siding guy puts on the counterflash to the stepflashing....Maybe....

Attachments

• 20230425_181938.jpg
    20230425_181938.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
What are you specifically looking for on a house wrap inspection?
The siding is one of the last things to be installed after the subs have been there and made their penetrations in the exterior walls.
I do not see a need for a specific house wrap inspection since it can be looked at when you are there for other inspections.

Around here the wrap goes on when the walls are stood or shortly after. Yes, sometimes it may get wind damaged but we see that is has been fixed before the siding is installed.

I did a lot of siding and trim as a piece worker. T1-11, Masonite, cedar, redwood and chipboard. In every case we installed the flashing and wrap.

They did not even have house wrap in those days. You had to use felt paper. ;)
Tyvek was popular. Some years later siding was removed and found that the Tyvek was a powder. A week in the sun before the siding went on killed it. There was another wrap named Barricade; tough stuff it was but I preferred building paper. I could strip off a manageable roll and run with it.

With T1-11 we used a nine inch wide roll of sisalcraft vertically at the seams.... and that was all. Thousands of apartments were done that way.

Last edited:
Here it is typical to see the building paper on at the framing inspection, but siding not yet installed. We have a framing inspection, so it is inspected then.

I've found a fair number of reverse-lapped sections of building paper.

I did a lot of siding and trim as a piece worker. T1-11, Masonite, cedar, redwood and chipboard. In every case we installed the flashing and wrap.
ICE, it all depends on what the local AHJ feels is the correct method.

From 1996-2001 I used to build a home a year as an off-shoot of my day job.

The first 2, we had to house wrapped in Tyvek, got the inspection, then pulled the stuff off later as we installed new in its place as the siding went up.

It was a cost of doing business because it was simpler, than dealing with the flip side.

As the local inspector got to know our work and methods, they allowed us to take pictures with newspapers front pages in them as we progressed and he would drive by occasionally when in the area, and we also emailed pictures of progress, yes the beginning of email in 1997, already emailing pictures and posting them on websites for the inspector to check from their office.

I know that does not work with those who don't want or will follow what they are supposed to do, but given some latitude, respect and a simple reason, that they might have to pull it off the building if they don't comply, can make things become a simple process that many are willing to follow.

It works with many an inspector that I still deal with today. the problem you had is the area you covered, 80% did not want to comply, 20% just figured it was simpler.

When I took a closer look I realized that this is completely wrong. There is no 1"x4" or counter-flashing.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 2.37.39 PM.jpeg

It works with many an inspector that I still deal with today. the problem you had is the area you covered, 80% did not want to comply, 20% just figured it was simpler.
When I was the guy doing the work I was in the Sacramento area. Most everything was siding and few were stucco. I installed the building paper at the same time as I installed the siding. When I became an inspector I was in Southern California and most everything is stucco so we do a lath inspection and that includes the building paper. Although it is rare, I do find the WRB done wrong... around windows or a single layer over sheathing and bucking water.

Every zip house I have seen is done this way....At least until we reinspect the ones in my Town
When is the counter-flashing installed and what supports it? Does the siding land on counter-flashing? Do you have a picture of the finished product?

Do you inspect the underliner and ice & water barrier on roofs before it is shingled?
My state does not require a permit for re-roofing so we don't in most townships. But some of our townships do have an ordinance for a permit requirement only for re-roofing where we just inspect the ice and water barrier and a final for re-roofing but not for new roofs.

If you get right down to it, not very many verify the roof sheeting nailing until you see the shiners! (Missed nails through the sheeting next to the rafters)

Kinda important but theirs usually a shingled roof installed by the time the inspector shows to do the rough-in inspection.

What I'm trying to say inspectors can't inspect everything and nor do they have the time to follow behind the contractors. Because one inspection department has more inspectors and more inspections on their list doesn't mean other inspection departments or incompetent in their inspection roles.

JMHO, but we are incapable of inspecting everything, so we must pick and choose. What we pick and choose is largely dictated by those above us, but a conscientious inspector will make their own determinations. Many times I have ben accused of coming up with something different every time. I always thank them for noticing. I explain that I am limited in my time so I can't inspect everything at once, therefore I try to inspect everything over time. They say "how am I supposed to pass an inspection?". I say "do everything by the book all the time and you'll never have to worry about it". They say "what book?".

I freely admit I will never inspect everything, but exactly what and when I inspect whatever I inspect should be the conundrum for the installer to try and keep them honest. And that, for me, is the nature of what we do. Some things are more important than others. Those things are different for everybody for various reasons. I never got too wrapped up in what the required inspections were. If I saw something that bothered me I just started inspecting for it, I just had to get creative, and sometimes a little destructive to find what I was looking for.

I might read an article, or a post on a forum, or see an "eye on your side" news story that makes me look at something I never thought of before. I start looking at it for awhile. If I see patterns that need adjusted I make the adjustment. Sometimes my boss tells me to stop, sometimes I listen. Sometimes I make a determination that I can do more good in building safety even if I stop looking for that one thing than I can if I end up working at 7-11.