• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Thread - What to recommend to ICC re: Bulletin Board/Forum

Yankee said:
I don't disagree that there are issues within and around ICC and a lot of that has to do with the "big business" atmosphere/goal, and much of that has to do with the former 10 years of false expectations with the economy. Ok, so, now we are all slapped down a bit now.

I followed the link to look at the BOD and I see a group of people who are riding the ICC mechanical bull, and from past experiences on other boards I can only say "walk a mile in their shoes" and then criticize.

My gut feeling is that 90% of the BOD are JUST LIKE US.
I will agree that they STARTED out like us - but they most definitely NOT like us. They typically want to be on the BOD so they can make a difference - but have you ever studied what is involved with being a BOD member? Look it up? They don't publish a manual, and their communications are locked down between themselves and ICC exec leadership. So the new BOD members get there with no concept of what they have just gotten themselves into. There is a big difference between getting elected and doing the work of the BOD-which is why I want MORE transparency from the BOD and the ICC exec leaders. Their meeting minutes are lacking on purpose - they have been chastised in the past for the lack of info in those minutes and they REFUSE to expand them. I have been close enough to see and hear them to know that they are walking down a path THEY chose and create - they get what they deserve based on those choices.

Folks, let's not forget that ICC does not "write" the codes. They publish what "we" say is the code. They keep track of the proceedings and such but they are just the recording secretary. Maybe the problem is that they have lost sight of that mission and what they really see themselves doing is "creating" the code. Any thoughts?

Cowboy,

My boss is on the BOD and you would be hard pressed to find a more honest, straight forward and good boss. I know that at least one of them is honest. This may be the exception though.

Daddy-O. No doubt. I know one on the bod. That person has the same concerns voiced on this site. I know many that work within the organization. Same concerns. How in the heck can a train get so, so, far off the tracks with so, so, many people of good consience working for AND members of the same?

Learned many years ago... follow the money.

Why was my other thread closed? I've reread it several times and cannot find anything offensive. Please, someone PM me, at least and tell me why.

I've never had a thread "Closed/Locked" before.

If anyone was offended; please delete the whole thread.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncle Bob said:
I've been looking at the addition of chat rooms. You don't have to have them within the organization; you can set them up and link to them (removing responsiblity for content). They make it possible to visit and discuss things in real time; without worrying about taking the original post off subject. It's also a good tool to brain-storm ideas, networking, and to better get to know your peers.Here is a site I found and joined to see what was involved. It is free and has additional options that you can pay for; but, this is a good example of what you can do.

(be careful if you have a webcam on your laptop; When I signed on, I wasn't wearing a shirt and didn't know that the laptop webcamera was automatic) I had no idea I could still move that fast. :oops:

Join for free and you will see some of the advantages;

http://www.christianchatcity.com/

This is only an example. It would be nice if we could visit in real time.

Just a thought,

Uncle Bob
Reactivate the old BB to full functioning order. Then they can add a Chatroom(s) that are accessible.

A front-end page (XML/HTML / CSS - NO Flash, Silverlight or any other garbage that requires alot of system resources) which can then provide a link to the Chatroom(s) and the Bulletin Board.

Chatroom software exists that are compatible with the old BB or similar BBs to this one. There is PHPBB and PHPChat that they can use.

http://www.phpopenchat.org/

and

http://www.phpbb.com/

This is ALL they need to implement.

This would be MORE then sufficient for the needs.

Uncle Bob said:
Why was my other thread closed? I've reread it several times and cannot find anything offensive. Please, someone PM me, at least and tell me why.I've never had a thread "Closed/Locked" before.

Uncle Bob
I'll unlock it if you like.

BTW: Just look at my prior messages on this topic. If they gave you a copy of the survey from me, it would be good to read from it. For what it is worth, the PHPBB will serve the Bulletin Board function well as well as the PHPOpenChat.

In general, they are free so ICC doesn't have to PAY money to buy the software. It also is very similar to this BB system. I would primarily look to this software to jump start it all.

The other features of the COI can be implemented into the site structure. It could work just fine. But I agree, paid membership should not be necessary but membership would give certain discounts on books purchased and all that but that is what they are paying membership for among other reasons.

Rick,

" I'll unlock it if you like."

No thanks;

I would like to know why it was locked from the person who locked it. I want to make sure that I didn't offend anyone with the thread.

Uncle Bob

Why was my other thread closed? I've reread it several times and cannot find anything offensive. Please, whoever locked it; PM me, at least and tell me why.

I've never had a thread "Closed/Locked" before.

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
Why was my other thread closed? I've reread it several times and cannot find anything offensive. Please, whoever locked it; PM me, at least and tell me why.I've never had a thread "Closed/Locked" before.

Uncle Bob
I don't think or see anything offensive.

UB,

It wasn't me. I posted on it and noticed is said "closed" and I can see my post on it. Maybe due to being a Mod but I don't know who closed it. You know where you can go and find out who or why it was "closed" if nobody fesses up.

Thanks Ya'll,

I'm not sure how; but my thread may have offended someone or been misunderstood.

I'm hoping a PM from them might help me understand why the thread was locked. If they found it to be a problem; I would like them to remove the entire thread.

Thanks,

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
Thanks Ya'll,I'm not sure how; but my thread may have offended someone or been misunderstood.

I'm hoping a PM from them might help me understand why the thread was locked. If they found it to be a problem; I would like them to remove the entire thread.

Thanks,

Uncle Bob
Probably just someone screwed up and didn't mean to close it. Who knows....

It could have been me, but I wasn't on since I posted on the thread. However, This main control panel is rather intimidating. So it could have been me.

UB: Sorry for the lockout! I vote you all have me beaten with a cat of nine tails, hog tied and tossed over the side of ship.

Our most humble Customer service representative.

Wasn't me! And yes RJJ, I noticed that before when I was requested by the OP to lock a thread, that Mods can still post.