• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Paper Towel Dispenser in WC Clear Space?

If in the clear floor area, then how could it not be a barrier? Maybe if he posted a floor plan?

What I am talking about is that there is a shelving unit that is 36" long against the wall and comes out 30" from the wall, is 6' high, 5 shelfs, lowest shelf is 3" from the floor. I am sure many of you have this type of shelf unit in your garages or basements. It is between the toilet and the sink. They are keeping supplies for the toilet room on it.

Toilet has a automatic flusher. The problem is the code allows shelving in the water closet clear space but has no limit in how large or where it is. They could even put shelving between the toilet and wall. When I fail inspection I am required to state a code section and there is nothing I can use for this.

Have to slouch to use it? Picture would be helpful. Even if automatic it still has the push button that needs to be accessible.

Toilet has a automatic flusher. The problem is the code allows shelving in the water closet clear space but has no limit in how large or where it is. They could even put shelving between the toilet and wall. When I fail inspection I am required to state a code section and there is nothing I can use for this.
ICC A117.1
604.3.3 Clearance Overlap. The required clearance around the water closet shall be permitted to overlap the water closet, associated grab bars, paper dispensers, sanitary napkin receptacles, coat hooks, shelves, accessible routes, clear floor space at other fixtures and the turning space.
No other fixtures or obstructions shall be within the required water closet clearance

ICC A117.1
604.3.3 Clearance Overlap. The required clearance around the water closet shall be permitted to overlap the water closet, associated grab bars, paper dispensers, sanitary napkin receptacles, coat hooks, shelves, accessible routes, clear floor space at other fixtures and the turning space.
No other fixtures or obstructions shall be within the required water closet clearance

That is what I am saying. There is no limit on how much the shelves take up of if they need to be mounted to the wall.

Would 609.3 (projecting objects above & below grab bars) help? The rear grab bar is supposed to extend beyond the edge of the toilet (604.5.2).

I don't enforce ADA only the ICC codes allows shelfs in the water closet clearance and there is nothing that says shelfs can't be in front of the grab bars.