• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Resealing & Relining Parking Lots with Accessible Parking Spaces

Jar. If they are repaving a parking lot on a slope, if you would call it an alteration, would you be against them doing something else to spend the 20% on like new accessible drinking fountains?

Most of the parking lots in my area are gravel or just dirt with no painted lines. If they add more gravel or dirt and the building was built before we had codes (2004) and no accessible route or accessible anything in them, which most are like in my area, would you make them put in an accessible parking space?
Stripe the gravel...Not my problem....

1106.2 Required

Where parking is provided, accessible parking spaces shall be provided in compliance with Table 1106.2, except as required by Sections 1106.3 through 1106.5.

Most of the parking lots in my area are gravel or just dirt with no painted lines. If they add more gravel or dirt and the building was built before we had codes (2004) and no accessible route or accessible anything in them, which most are like in my area, would you make them put in an accessible parking space?
If neither the Certificate of Occupancy nor the approved plans show a minimum required number of parking stalls,
- AND -
the lot is dirt with no painted lines, with no signs indicating parking,
- THEN -
there is no designated "parking facility" provided.
The fact that people park on the dirt lot anyway is irrelevant to code compliance.

In 2010 ADAS and the code section quoted by steveray, the % requirement for accessible stalls is based on the total # of stall provided, starting at 1-25. When 0 stalls are provided, 0 stalls are required to be accessible.

1694454555185.png

Stripe the gravel...Not my problem....

1106.2 Required

Where parking is provided, accessible parking spaces shall be provided in compliance with Table 1106.2, except as required by Sections 1106.3 through 1106.5.
Striping the gravel is just a tease, because it implies that gravel is intended to be accessible, which is unlikely given the irregular surface.

The places I have worked would require the actually accessible spaces/ramps/sidewalk to the door to be either paved or concrete & meet slope requirements. the rest of the parking lot could be left gravel. And generally no on spending the 20% somewhere else. The agreement on that is you must be able to get in the building first before doors/drinking fountains/POT/accessible stalls etc. are needed.

The places I have worked would require the actually accessible spaces/ramps/sidewalk to the door to be either paved or concrete & meet slope requirements. the rest of the parking lot could be left gravel. And generally no on spending the 20% somewhere else. The agreement on that is you must be able to get in the building first before doors/drinking fountains/POT/accessible stalls etc. are needed.
The issue there is when you get them in and there is no place to go to the bathroom it gets messy....Literally...

The debate over doing the entrance or bathroom first when it comes to accessible upgrades....

Here in California, there's CBC 202.4 exception #8 when you are dealing with the "20% rule". Restrooms are the 3rd-highest priority:

1694729960007.png

In CBC 202, the definition of #2 "accessible route" may include a "parking access aisle".

1694730108716.png

So, the way this is written, they believe a parking access aisle is a higher funding priority than an accessible bathroom. We Californians really do love our cars more than our bladders!

1694730404851.png

Accessible parking is way down at #6. No exterior accessible route until then.
Having an accessible bathroom without an accessible entrance to get to the bathroom is pointless.

Accessible parking is way down at #6. No exterior accessible route until then.
Having an accessible bathroom without an accessible entrance to get to the bathroom is pointless.
I agree that in a "real world", bathrooms are a higher priority in parking. However, I've had at least 2 alteration projects in a major so Cal city where it was the position of the building official that "accessible route" priority #2 included an exterior route to the parking access aisle, but did not include the parking stall itself.

I totally disagreed with him, but he wouldn't budge, and I had to cave in order to get permit.
So the 20% got spent on a route to the access aisle for a parking stall that was not accessible.

Interesting that in CA has the accessible parking access aisle as #1 but the actual vehicle parking space as #6.
We go by the 2018 IBC which does not have a list of priorities.

The accessible parking would be used by a multitude of people with a variety of physical disabilities that may not need a fully handicap restroom if needed.
Broken foot or leg, torn ligaments, chemo treatments that leave them exhausted, fibromyalgia, and many more.