• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Official Electrical Violation Photo Thread

This is for Jeff as I know how he likes these....how many violations do you see in this service disconnect? Does it matter if it is a dwelling unit or not? Lets say 2020 NEC......Go!
I see two right off the bat if that is a service disconnect and possibly a third. I will review and respond when I get home.

There is at least one requirement that is for dwelling units and not others and one that is for non-dwelling units that does not apply to DU...But maybe CT amends that.....We will wait and see if anyone else chimes in...
Soooo????

This came up today, a "nice" water heater install, the venting would have been easy to do right, the existing copper tubing for the furnace, & the gas flex would take a bit more, is strapping the WH a California thing or required elsewhere also? Quakes are not exclusive to CA.

Sooooo????
So, unfortunately, I was up on my roof after work trying to fix a leak. Sooooo, here it goes:

1) I would want to verify the connection of the completely unnecessary lug's compliance with 250.8(A)(5)
2) If 250.8(A)(5) is not compliant then I would add 250.12 to the mix
3) The most obvious, and most common problem I see is 250.24(A)(1)

There are my possible 3, but definite 1.

So, unfortunately, I was up on my roof after work trying to fix a leak. Sooooo, here it goes:

1) I would want to verify the connection of the completely unnecessary lug's compliance with 250.8(A)(5)
2) If 250.8(A)(5) is not compliant then I would add 250.12 to the mix
3) The most obvious, and most common problem I see is 250.24(A)(1)

There are my possible 3, but definite 1.
So here is how I wrote it up:

1695990299258.png

The surge protection is required for dwelling units but not other than, available fault current is other than dwelling units, Jeff nailed 250.24 (GEC to utility grounded) and common here as well....I got back to the office and realized that I actually didn't verify these were service rated (there are 3) and the breaker in one of them was only 10kA rated.....Thank you for playing our game and Jeff has some parting gifts for you out back....

I considered obtaining a fuse puller.. but thought better of it. If the HVAC workman can’t install the fuses with the label showing, they can come back…. Well they’re coming back for other corrections anyway.

~ ~ ~ >

I do not have an NEC that I can refer to.

1. No cover on junction box.
2. BX in to a pvc fitting ?........What the hey ?

< ~ ~ ~

First thing that jumped out, box needs to be bonded, which lead me to believe the one below with the GFCI's probably is not either. Assuming there is a cover available for the box.

J-box secured with just one drywall screw. Receptacles are upside down. The latch on the light cover is broken. Doesn’t look like the light is secured well. Receptacle outlet cover should be removed.

It might be in the installation instructions. Definitely in You Tube videos.
I will forever require around pin up, or if horizontal, neutral up. More than once I've seen something metallic drop into the gap between cord cap and receptacle.