• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Two adjacent lot line garages, one converted to living space, 1 hour both sides?

It's not their responsibility to do such... Contractor and design professional should have a better idea though.

The building department only needs to perform the plan review and inspection. If something is rebuilt, it needs to conform to the IEBC. If the IEBC requires it to be upgraded, it is up to the design professional and contractor to do such. Only if they fail to do so does it become incumbent upon the local building department to identify.
Like I said...propose it to the building department and let them give you the code section they are denying the permit for......

Like I said...propose it to the building department and let them give you the code section they are denying the permit for......
I'm not going to do the work unless I'm getting paid to, but I've done plan review for a similar project here in CA and it was pretty easy to show that the fire rating was required. It was not easy to build, in fact I don't think they have yet come up with a solution, if/when they come up with a way I'll post it. Ideas discussed were temporary wall, demo and rebuild or removing sections of one or two studs at a time and replacing with CMU wall. BO said whatever you decide to do, provide a stamped plan.

I'm not going to do the work unless I'm getting paid to, but I've done plan review for a similar project here in CA and it was pretty easy to show that the fire rating was required. It was not easy to build, in fact I don't think they have yet come up with a solution, if/when they come up with a way I'll post it. Ideas discussed were temporary wall, demo and rebuild or removing sections of one or two studs at a time and replacing with CMU wall. BO said whatever you decide to do, provide a stamped plan.
That is what I meant...Propose it means apply for the permit and wait for the denial....As we all know Cali is a little different....

California HCD has a handbook for ADUs:
https://www.hcd.ca.gov/sites/default/files/docs/policy-and-research/ADUHandbookUpdate.pdf

If you do a word search for "fire" you will see that they can require setback for fire/life safety when a property Owner is doing both an ADU and a Junior ADU on the same property. Oddly, they changed the language from the previous requirement (ADU or JADU).
Agreed, that's what the handbook says. As I've had to point out many times, the handbook is not adopted code. HCD has a tendency to keep their blinders on and not see the whole picture. Same with planning and zoning laws, and energy commission for that matter. I like to think of the planning and zoning as "what" is allowed, then you look to building code to determine "how" to do it.