• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WELCOME NEW Members!

Had found some good discussions on code-related issues in my googling and recently decided to share my own, which was very helpful! So here I am.

I'm an Architect, working exclusively on multi-family construction, essentially as in-house architect for a developer. Our forte seems to be 5 story Type III apartments over Type I parking garages, though chasing dollars is pushing us toward Type II and beyond it appears. I'm a Kansas State grad of 2010, framed houses for a couple years before I could land a big kid job (though I never really have grown up). I'm happily married and have a toddler that looks and acts just like me. I love Jesus, solving puzzles, learning, reading, and disc golf.

Had found some good discussions on code-related issues in my googling and recently decided to share my own, which was very helpful! So here I am.

I'm an Architect, working exclusively on multi-family construction, essentially as in-house architect for a developer. Our forte seems to be 5 story Type III apartments over Type I parking garages, though chasing dollars is pushing us toward Type II and beyond it appears. I'm a Kansas State grad of 2010, framed houses for a couple years before I could land a big kid job (though I never really have grown up). I'm happily married and have a toddler that looks and acts just like me. I love Jesus, solving puzzles, learning, reading, and disc golf.

Welcome

Ask and answer away

Which year and state IBC do you normally use

I'm in the middle of one project under construction which uses 2011 Ohio Building Code (2009 IBC). The rest of my projects are 2016 California Building Code.

Welcome to the forum!

Hello, i am new here. i find this forum one of the better ones out in the inter-webs...thanks for keeping this alive!
i'm in the world of architecture and construction which i still find interesting and compelling, even after 25+ years of doing it.
-md

Hello, i am new here. i find this forum one of the better ones out in the inter-webs...thanks for keeping this alive!
i'm in the world of architecture and construction which i still find interesting and compelling, even after 25+ years of doing it.
-md

Glad you like us

So are you north or south Calif??

I am an ex san Diego

Hello Everyone,
New to the forum and the building inspection industry. After a few years of turn downs for lack of experience I have finally landed a position. I look forward to interacting and learning from the seasoned professionals on the forum. Already learning from just the few posts I've seen so far.
Thank you,
DMartin

Hello Everyone,
New to the forum and the building inspection industry. After a few years of turn downs for lack of experience I have finally landed a position. I look forward to interacting and learning from the seasoned professionals on the forum. Already learning from just the few posts I've seen so far.
Thank you,
DMartin
Welcome, we are glad to have you.

Are you working with a jurisdiction? Building inspector?

Definitely consider becoming a Sawhorse, will help support a terrific resource for your new career.

Thanks. I am working as an inspector in Kansas for the City of Newton. I will definately look into supporting the forum. Spent everything I had to move from Oregon to Kansas for the position. Once I get on my feet I will see what I can do.

Got my degree in inspection over a year ago and just now finding a position. It feels good, just a lot different than big city when it comes to code adoptions and inspections.

Welcome to the wide wide wild world of Codes.

Just post away when you have questions.

When you become a paying Sawhorse, you can post problem pictures with no problems, even from the smart phone.

Well right now the previous inspector is going up to be my manager so eventually it will be just me LOL.

Sounds good

You might hook up with other building officials/ inspectors in your area/state

Check into these::

http://www.metrokcicc.org/

https://www.heart-o-america.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=460

Even the evil fire marshal side ::

https://www.iccsafe.org/membership/chapters/icc-chapters-and-boardstaff-liaison-map/

Attend any and all classes/ seminars you go to.

Small departments are a good place to cut your teeth in and learn.
May I suggest if you have not read this book that you get a copy of it a read it and then re-read it every couple of years as you grow and gain experience lest we forget why and what an inspection is suppose to achieve.
https://shop.iccsafe.org/inspector-skills.html

7104s_1.jpg

For training, you can't beat the Colorado Chapter's Educational Institute, a days drive for you, but the bang for the buck is amazing, take your pick from 65 full day classes, in 13 paths, mix and match. Next year it will be in Loveland at the Embassy Suites. PM me if you want more info as it gets closer, always the first week in March.

upload_2019-6-29_8-7-3.png

that does sound like a lot of bang for the buck. I will have to seriously think about checking that out next year.

Small departments are a good place to cut your teeth in and learn.
May I suggest if you have not read this book that you get a copy of it a read it and then re-read it every couple of years as you grow and gain experience lest we forget why and what an inspection is suppose to achieve.
https://shop.iccsafe.org/inspector-skills.html

7104s_1.jpg

got it in my ICC cart right now definitely want to get it. got a few books on sharpening the soft skills as well.