• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you allow this interlock kit?

jwelectric said:
Why do you keep asking for my birth certificate, do you think I hold some sort of poticial offfice or something.
Well that's not the actual reason, but ya I did figure you for holding a special position. It would fall under "or something".

It's doubtful that anyone could mistake you for holding poticial offfice.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the person who is doing the "work" that is supposed to be responsible......The code official can never "guarantee" compliance, we do not oversee an entire project. We do a sampling of inspections and our best effort....

R105.2 Work exempt from permit.

Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

steveray said:
It is the person who is doing the "work" that is supposed to be responsible......The code official can never "guarantee" compliance, we do not oversee an entire project. We do a sampling of inspections and our best effort....R105.2 Work exempt from permit.

Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
There you go Steve....keep them coming....you'll have him in the corner babbling soon enough. Now where's that damned birth certificate?

steveray said:
Exactly. It doesn't matter if the work is being inspected or not it must conform with the adopted codes and all this discussion is about is compliance. I think we are in agreement on this point.

ICE said:
Now where's that damned birth certificate?
I don’t need to have a birth certificate in order to get food stamps.I don’t need to have a birth certificate in order to get reduced housing.

I don’t need to have a birth certificate in order to get aid for dependent children.

Now why are you asking me for mine? Are you wanting to get married or something? My answer is NO!

jwelectric said:
I don’t need to have a birth certificate in order to get food stamps.I don’t need to have a birth certificate in order to get reduced housing.

I don’t need to have a birth certificate in order to get aid for dependent children.

Now why are you asking me for mine? Are you wanting to get married or something? My answer is NO!
My answer is no even if you promise to sleep face down.

jwelectric said:

Congratulations. If you ferret out any other benefits, please do tell.

I could do so much more with this but then Chris would come along and ruin it so I won't bother.

I will however, be the first to call Homo's Law.

Oh, Mike, the ferret is blue for you....where have you been?

Last edited by a moderator:
jwelectric said:
In order to get power from a stand-alone generator such as the one which I posted a picture of one would have to use a cord.This cord used with the interlock kit which has been pictured would make the cord a feeder as outlined in Article 100 of the NEC.

Part II of 225 address outside branch circuit and feeder installations. 225.31 mandates a disconnect and 225.36 mandates that this disconnect be rated as service equipment.

Can anyone post a link to a service rated end cap? Don’t need no stinking generator on site to turn this much down in a lot of cases.

250.34 addresses portable generators. The Note under 250.34 refers us to 250.30 for SDS.

The Note is not enforceable but 250.30 is. Through this referral to 250.30 the NEC is clear on the fact that a portable generator that has the devices mounted on the frame in order to take power away when connected to the premises wiring must be a SDS.

702.12 backs up the requirements in Part II of 225.

The NEC is very clear on this issue but some that work in the electrical field either confused or they just don’t care. Maybe they don’t have a birth certificate or spend a lot watching cartoons on You Tube.
You are just presented with the interlock device, Nothing else is present at that time. Now you are guessing about what they are going to do.

You are citing a generator that doesn't exist, a cord that doesn't exist

A circuit to a second building that doesn't exist (225.31 is about BUILDINGS)

A lawyer would ask you to produce that crystal ball and demonstrate it's operation on the stand.

ICE said:
Congratulations. If you ferret out any other benefits, please do tell us.I could do so much more with this but then Chris would come along and ruin it so I won't bother.

I will however, be the first to call Homo's Law.
Dude you are the one doing the asking. Just how does this law work? Does it point the finger to the one who keeps repeatly asking? I keep saying I ain't built that way but you just keep asking. Are you Obsessed with me? I know that I am irresistible but try and control yourself.

gfretwell said:
You are just presented with the interlock device, Nothing else is present at that time. Now you are guessing about what they are going to do.You are citing a generator that doesn't exist, a cord that doesn't exist

A circuit to a second building that doesn't exist (225.31 is about BUILDINGS)

A lawyer would ask you to produce that crystal ball and demonstrate it's operation on the stand.
No I am not guessing about anything I am asking the installer for more information. He will be providing all the information I will be needing for the inspection. This is the crystal ball and he can then watch while it is being demonstrated while I am doing the inspection.

As the inspector I took an oath and I shall live by that oath and stop hunting ways to do 30 or 40 half baked inspections a day and jumping up and down as asking people to see what I didn't do.

jwelectric said:
No I am not guessing about anything I am asking the installer for more information. He will be providing all the information I will be needing for the inspection. This is the crystal ball and he can then watch while it is being demonstrated while I am doing the inspection.As the inspector I took an oath and I shall live by that oath and stop hunting ways to do 30 or 40 half baked inspections a day and jumping up and down as asking people to see what I didn't do.
What did I tell you Steve? Can I call them or what?

I am the builder and I just say this is for a future installation that I have no details about.

If you see a capped off plumbing rough, do you try to enforce kitchen or bathroom rules for a future use that may never happen?

gfretwell said:
I am the builder and I just say this is for a future installation that I have no details about.
If you are the builder and not the electrician I could care less what you had to say. I will address my questions to the installer not the builder as I am not doing the building inspection. This inspection will be left to someone who knows the building codes far better than me.
gfretwell said:
If you see a capped off plumbing rough, do you try to enforce kitchen or bathroom rules for a future use that may never happen?
Once again I am doing the electrical inspection and could care less about the plumbing. This inspection is for the plumbing inspector. Now how will all this building and plumbing have anything to do with when the generator is installed it being code compliant?

JW the electrician says it was on the plan and I installed. I don't know what would happen in the future either.

The reality is, I usually ended up talking to the job super or GC, the electrician usually was not there when I did an inspection. I took out the plan if I was confused and I verified what I saw was code compliant and built to plan as approved.

gfretwell said:
JW the electrician says it was on the plan and I installed. I don't know what would happen in the future either.The reality is, I usually ended up talking to the job super or GC, the electrician usually was not there when I did an inspection. I took out the plan if I was confused and I verified what I saw was code compliant and built to plan as approved.
Wait a minute, are we talking about one of these small generators and a dwelling unit or are we talking about one of these small generators and an industrial plant?

These small gererators are used on poor folks homes not big commercial jobs.

Even if what you saw while you were making your inspection was compliant it in no ways makes the device asked about compliant with a stand alone generator now does it?

ICE said:
I could do so much more with this but then Chris would come along and ruin it so I won't bother.
This one is so far out of control its Jeff's call at this point, after all, he started it. ;) :D

Carry on.:rolleyes:

He asked me for my birth records and is asking everyone else to join the party. What kind of person is this?

I know full well that we ain’t getting together now. Wanting all these men like that what is going on with him?

I think I will forget the generator when the sh*t hits the fan and just have a beer.

JW the original question was whether you would accept the device. I was just trying to separate that from other questions. There is no reason why a builder might not install the device on new construction without providing the generator.

What kind of generator do you think it was designed and listed for?

gfretwell said:
JW the original question was whether you would accept the device. I was just trying to separate that from other questions. There is no reason why a builder might not install the device on new construction without providing the generator.What kind of generator do you think it was designed and listed for?
you might get by with something like this;

Bigportablegenerator.jpg

I am not sure I see the difference in reference to "cords" and the some of other things you mentioned. The main complaint seems to be the listing of the generator.

I have not really investigated all of the available generators to see if they are all listed the same and if some may have dual or triple listing categories.

For now I will accept that in Piedmont NC, hooking a generator up to a panel interlock is not allowed. rock on dude

When there is an installation, we want to know exactly what it is for. Electrical, plumbing,etc. if they want to place extra plumbing in the ground for future use, we need to know what for so the pipes are properly sized. We will document what is there. If they ran pipes big enough for a 1/2 bath but want to put in two bathrooms, then it may not work. We require you to state your intention.

The same applies to electrical. If you are going to perform an installation, we need to know exactly what for. That is what will be filed in your paperwork or added to your c of o. If you don't know, we can't inspect it or just let it go.