• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Would you allow this interlock kit?

gfretwell said:
Jw, How did you "legally" hook up your furnace blower?
Why would I want to hook my furnace blower up. I have two 10KW electric furnaces and neither of my generators will pull them. I do like everyone who has one, I light the gas logs in the fireplace. If I didn’t have gas logs I would put on some cloths.
gfretwell said:
I also wonder about what you say about "U/L requiring the neutral being bonded" since there are listed generators out there that don't. (some Hondas for example).
As well as a lot of unlisted ones.
gfretwell said:
BTW U/L is only one of over a dozen NRTLs. I don't know what you do when they disagree.
Of all the NRTLs out there they all use ULs Standards.
gfretwell said:
Perhaps you just look for the potential hazards and make your decision based on safety.
I make all my decisions based on the adopted laws.

Builder Bob said:
jwelectric........ The SJO cord has a heavier insulation than NM and would not allow the heat to dissipate as easily as NM cable, thus the rating difference in the types of insulators for #8 conductor....Next question?
But is it not safer than the uninsulated conductor of the type NM cable? After all it was you that said one is safer than the other. I am the one who keeps saying that it is either code compliant or it is not.

And by the way the ampacity of the two are the same

If I didn’t have gas logs I would put on some cloths
You could not put enough on at 10 below for 5 to day days much less the damage that will be done to the home with the loss of heat

I will shut off the main breaker and do what I need to do to provide heat for my family.

mtlogcabin said:
You could not put enough on at 10 below for 5 to day days much less the damage that will be done to the home with the loss of heatI will shut off the main breaker and do what I need to do to provide heat for my family.
The original question was about a certain interlock kit.My post was addressing this question and the compliance of this kit and the type generator that is most commonly used.

Survival is another issue. I am an outdoor person and know that if someone is dressed for the climate there is not much issue at -10 degrees. No it is not comfortable but one can survive.

There are people from all walks of life even in the coldest of places. There are the filthy rich down to the homeless. We all survive by doing what we have to do in order to be around another day.

Now back to the code compliant issue of this interlock and the type generator that it is most commonly used with.

JW, most people farther north than you have gas or oil fired furnaces. They would want to get them going (Think Sandy)

Running your gas logs and slipping on a sweater is not going to keep your pipes from freezing.

I tend to agree the current code does not make it easy to hook up small generators in a totally compliant way although there does not have to be any safety issues if it is done properly. That is why I said a code change may be in order. They rewrite the code every three years for a lot more trivial things than this. It is an area that should be addressed.

I suppose it should be noted that most major panelboard manufactures offer their own interlock kits, very similar to the one at the top of this thread and they are U/L listed.

After all that was the original question.

I am not sure how the inspector gets involved in this at all since the generator probably will not even be there when the permit is closed.

Would you allow this interlock kit?

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Electrical%20Distribution/Load%20Centers/Accessories-Homeline-HOM-LK-PK-QOM/40273-809-02.pdf

Not for this generator

standalonegen.png

= + =

In referring to the OP, ...at last count, I have 3 FOR using the interlock

kit, 1, possibly 2 AGAINST, and some did not state their choice......Are

we still voting? :devil

+ = +

north star said:
= + =In referring to the OP, ...at last count, I have 3 FOR using the interlock

kit, 1, possibly 2 AGAINST, and some did not state their choice......Are

we still voting? :devil

+ = +
Good grief,

Beat this horse some more.

I was for it (pg1), before I was against it (pgs 2-4), but now I'm leaning for it (pg5). The www might crash and we might not ever know how the vote turns out. Wouldn't that be too bad.

BS

Makes no difference to who is for or who is against the bottom line is what the adopted law in your area allows.

In my area we have adopted a law that any equipment connected to a dwelling unit must carry a listing from a third party and this means that UL Standards apply.

In the listing of the self-contained stand-alone type generator must be connected as a SDS which means that we must install a transfer switch that also switches the neutral should some idiot decide to connect one to the premises wiring of the dwelling.

We can run around trying to justify a non-compliant installation in any manner we want to but it doesn’t change the fact that unless it is installed according to the listing it is a non-compliant installation.

Does this much matter? In a court of law most certainly. When standing in front of the disciplinary board, yes.

Now the only question left is are we going to install this small generators in a compliant manner or are we going to just jury rig them and make a lot of excuses why we did so? If we choose the latter why not just make excuses to circumvent all code rules?

If you see an interlock device, made by the panelboard manufacturer, installed by the builder, at the final, what do you do? What code section would you cite to write the violation?

I am not deaf and dumb I can talk and listen. First someone would have to answer some questions. I would use 110.3(B), 702.12, 250.34, 250.30, 225.31 and 225.36 as starters and depending on the type of installation I can continue.

Oh by the way these would be sited on the inspection report instead of just saying this is what I want to see.

jwelectric said:
I am not deaf and dumb I can talk and listen. First someone would have to answer some questions. I would use 110.3(B), 702.12, 250.34, 250.30, 225.31 and 225.36 as starters and depending on the type of installation I can continue. Oh by the way these would be sited on the inspection report instead of just saying this is what I want to see.
Can you produce a copy of your birth certificate?

In order to get power from a stand-alone generator such as the one which I posted a picture of one would have to use a cord.

This cord used with the interlock kit which has been pictured would make the cord a feeder as outlined in Article 100 of the NEC.

Part II of 225 address outside branch circuit and feeder installations. 225.31 mandates a disconnect and 225.36 mandates that this disconnect be rated as service equipment.

Can anyone post a link to a service rated end cap? Don’t need no stinking generator on site to turn this much down in a lot of cases.

250.34 addresses portable generators. The Note under 250.34 refers us to 250.30 for SDS.

The Note is not enforceable but 250.30 is. Through this referral to 250.30 the NEC is clear on the fact that a portable generator that has the devices mounted on the frame in order to take power away when connected to the premises wiring must be a SDS.

702.12 backs up the requirements in Part II of 225.

The NEC is very clear on this issue but some that work in the electrical field either confused or they just don’t care. Maybe they don’t have a birth certificate or spend a lot watching cartoons on You Tube.

Exempt.....portable electric eqipment?

Electrical:

Repairs and maintenance: A permit shall not be required for minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

steveray said:
Exempt.....portable electric eqipment?Electrical:

Repairs and maintenance: A permit shall not be required for minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
Argue with that....and then produce a birth certificate.

ICE said:
Argue with that....and then produce a birth certificate.
Geeze I didn't know that a permit would ensure a compliant installation, if it did we would need those code enforcement folks would we. Just what does a permit and code compliance have to do with each other? Have you lost your mind, wait you first have to have one before you can lose it.

Why do you keep asking for my birth certificate, do you think I hold some sort of poticial offfice or something.