• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Did they share a purpose for that nonsense with you? Seems like you'd wake up every morning with a homeless guy in the little foyer there. And he'll have his own bathroom too, looks like - that hollow door sure isn't gonna' keep anybody out..

What was built doesn't match what was drawn (more space to strike side of door to bathroom than shown, window in different location, etc.). Also, shouldn't the light switches and outlets in the alcove be weatherproof? No different than being under a patio cover, right?

What code sections are you going to cite? The only thing I see are weatherproof outlets.

And a switch all mounted in a sheetrock covered wall. ...... nobody there asked for a code section.

I gave them options.....they chose the door option.

Tiger, you really don't like us do you?

I drive a Hummer as my every day car, when I built in Silicon Valley I had to do a 150 mile per day commute, mostly on I-680, Hummers have vertical windshields, CalTrans uses sweepers on 680 on almost a daily basis, the Hummer is now 14 years old and I've gone through 9 windshields, almost all from rocks thrown by those stupid sweepers, they run trucks ahead and behind the sweeping truck setting out and picking up cones as they go, this slows traffic to a crawl making it impossible for me to get over into the slow lane, I guess every time a rock hits and breaks my windshield I should take a picture, post it here, and say: "It takes a government employee to come up with something this lame."

Tiger, you really don't like us do you?

Am I that obvious?
The contractor in the picture is an A license. Apparently they dribble crap on the roadway and hate paying for windshields. Hence a ridiculous sign. Would it occur to them to knock the loose stuff off the truck before it leaves a site? I bet that they did think of that and decided that it's just too much to ask for.

I have fielded complaints about busted windshields due to rocks on the road near work-sites. The people tell me that they have approached the contractor and been told to pound sand. That can result in an unexpected delay for inspection.

Last edited:
Sign won't protect him in court
He also appears to be missing his mud flaps on the left....

I just had two windshields replaced last month, the Hummer cost $330, the Viper $586, they came out to my house and did both in about 3 hours. If that truck caused the problem they would have udcoubtedly refused to pay on the basis that I was on notice to stay 200 feet away and tell me that I would have to prove that I was 200 feet behind the truck, as well as prove that a rock from that truck caused the damage. To sue for that amount I would have to go to Small Claims Court, if the owner of the truck was a corportation I would have to call the state and find out who the agent for service was (that is easily available), then I'd have to serve the agent, most agents make themselves 'unavailable', once served I would have to argue the case in Small Clams Court, it's always just less expensive to call the windshield replacement company and pay yourself.

A woman in a new car with paper plates rear-ended me at a stop light a year ago, she fumbled around in her purse and couldn't find anything, finally she found a checkbook and tore out a deposit slip and handed it to me, I saw she lived in a nice retirement community so told her we were blocking traffic and would call her later that day, when I got home I discovered there was no phone number on the slip so I wrote her a letter including copies of my insurance and license, she wrote "Return to Sender" across the face so I made a claim on my insurance, the bill was $1,700, $1,200 was covered by my collision insurance and $500 by my uninsured motorist insurance. I called and asked if they were going after her, I was told no they don't go after women since they are a protected class.

Unless it's part of an unsecured load (example: a 2x4 falling out of a stack in the bed of a pickup, or a ladder falling off a ladder rack), I doubt any court would rule the owner of the truck to be at fault. Your insurance is going to pay for the rock that cracks your windshield, not his.

Anecdote: In another life, I (briefly) drove an over-the-road truck for a living. I was on I-20 in Georgia in the wintertime and a sheet of ice half as big as the trailer I was pulling flew off the top and smacked a lady in an SUV square in the windshield. Hit her hard enough that it bent the A pillars. Thankfully she didn't crash and wasn't hurt, and just pulled over. I saw it fly off the truck in the mirror and pulled over as well. Called the police, did a report, the whole deal. Cop did not write me a ticket. Her insurance paid for her SUV and nothing went on my record.