• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Ice..............not an inspector anymore? what?
For several reasons I have retired from LA County. I have a few projects to get done around the house and then I might go back to work somewhere else as a contract inspector.....or I might enjoy not putting up with the BS.

Last edited:
Meter planking covers are a off the shelf item, or ask nicely when the PoCo is connecting the new service, they may give a cover & ring out. I have them in plastic, glass, & metal.

The inspector writes a bogus correction. That correction causes the recipient to remove the ceiling drywall and then redo the drywall. R702.3.7 specifically states: Use of water-resistant gypsum backing board shall be permitted on ceilings.

IMG_4171.JPG

The inspector was there for a solar inspection. The solar breaker is required to be at the far end of the bus away from the main breaker. It was not. The person that met the inspector moved the breakers from the far end because the bus was scorching. As the inspector was writing a correction, well actually, the inspector was taking notes.... the workman decided to remove the solar breakers. When he touched the breakers he recoiled in pain as they were starting to melt.

Resized_20220415_144518.jpeg

The c-tap and loose ground wire are another issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fifty percent correct is not worth doing at all. 1,5,6 are so far off the mark as to be ridiculous.

IMG_4283.JPG

The job was a reroof. The existing sheathing is 1"x6" with gaps as is typical with a tile roof. The new roof covering is asphalt shingles. 1/2" OSB was place over the 1"x6" to provide a substrate for the shingles.

The correction caused them to remove OSB because the strip was not a half sheet. That's not easy to accomplish when the OSB has been stapled. Beyond that correction is the requirement to nail the OSB when staples are more than sufficient.

IMG_4219.JPG

IRC Table 602.3(1) Rows 30, 31 and 32 are nails only for wood structural panels on a roof

TABLE R602.3(2)
ALTERNATE ATTACHMENTS TO TABLE R602.3(1) allows staples if the Ultimate Design Wind Speed is less than 130 MPH
Wood structural panels subfloor, roof footnote g

g. Specified alternate attachments for roof sheathing shall be permitted where the ultimate design wind speed is less than 130 mph. Fasteners attaching wood structural panel roof sheathing to gable end wall framing shall be installed using the spacing listed for panel edges.

I imagine ice is in an area with a UDWS is less than 130 mph so the staples should have been code compliant

IRC Table 602.3(1) Rows 30, 31 and 32 are nails only for wood structural panels on a roof

TABLE R602.3(2)
ALTERNATE ATTACHMENTS TO TABLE R602.3(1) allows staples if the Ultimate Design Wind Speed is less than 130 MPH

g. Specified alternate attachments for roof sheathing shall be permitted where the ultimate design wind speed is less than 130 mph. Fasteners attaching wood structural panel roof sheathing to gable end wall framing shall be installed using the spacing listed for panel edges.

I imagine ice is in an area with a UDWS is less than 130 mph so the staples should have been code compliant
I was asking about post #4907, not #4908 if you're responding to #4909.

Hard to track with thousands of posts. :)

I'm not a California guy, but for #1 I would think the plumbing code also requires a certain minimum distance from the floor to provide an air gap.
I'm not sure in CA either but IPC 504.6 requires 6" max above the floor or indirect. It also requires the discharge pipe to be no less than two pipe diameters above the floor or indirect presumably for the air gap. I don't know the rationale behind the 6" requirement but it's been there for as long as I can remember.

Painting the gas piping outdoors comes from an interpretation of IFGC 403.8 Protective Coating. It is not enforced in my jurisdiction, but it is enforced elsewhere.

As redeyedfly pointed out, a water heater discharge pipe is required to be air-gapped two pipe diameters but not more than 6" in both the IPC and the IRC.

Some items (electrical) are only required to be protected with a nail guard if they are within 1 1/4" of the stud face, but others (plumbing) are 1 1/2". Not sure what was controversial about that one.

TABLE R602.3(2)

The sheathing for the reroof is not structural. The sheathing is merely a substrate for attaching asphalt shingles. The plan check engineers apply a reduction in values when staples are used instead of nails for structural panels. As I recall the values are multiplied by 0.8.

Last edited:
California Plumbing Code:
608.5(3) states that the T&P shall terminate no less than 6” nor more than 24” above grade.
Protection of plumbing pipe is required if the pipe is less than 1” away from the face of framing. Electrical is required to be protected if less than 1.25” away from the face of framing
The inspector was stuck on the I-codes instead of California/UPC... on the right track in the wrong train, lol...

California Plumbing Code:
608.5(3) states that the T&P shall terminate no less than 6” nor more than 24” above grade.
Thats the old code that I remember enforcing from the IPC.

I once inspected a job with a garden hose hooked up to a PRV. Not good.

I don't know the rationale behind the 6" requirement but it's been there for as long as I can remember.
Water heater could be located above the first floor. An attic maybe. Easiest outlet could be through the soffit over the front door. T&P dumps at the same time as the Brownie troop rings the door bell to sell GS cookies.

If the T&P terminates too close to the ground (ie. less than 6") it can splash back up and scald someone. The 24" limit is to protect the Brownie troop.