• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Anyone else use paint to mark rough-in framing discrepancies?
Yes we use a Blue color paint for framing. Orange, Red or Yellow are never used. I have had many owners call upset that there is something major wrong with the construction of their house. Then I spend time explaining to the owner that there is a minor correction that needs to be done, usually missed fasteners in the sheathing or hangers and the paint is there to aid the contractor in identifying where the corrections is and it provides proof when he sends a photo of the correction for the file. Since we went to Blue paint I don't get the questions from the owner anymore

Sometimes paint/lumber crayon on the framing itself or the osb. I use paint on roof inspection for protruding nails or shiners. This stopped from me getting the call the roofer couldn't find it as well as I know the shingle gets replaced.

The contractor decided to install a backwater valve for the building sewer of an ADU. A backwater valve is not required for this property. The contractor has dealt with an inspector that required a backwater valve on every ADU. The picture is an example of how he has passed inspection, ...every time. He was not aware that the valve shall be flat with no slope. He did not know that the valve shall be accessible. There has never been a tag placed at the cleanouts warning of a backwater valve.

Resized_20220505_143139001.jpeg

Last edited:
Hunh.....Finally something where IPC is tighter than UPC/ CPC....

P3008.1 Sewage backflow. Where the flood level rims of
plumbing fixtures are below the elevation of the manhole
cover of the next upstream manhole in the public sewer, the
fixtures shall be protected by a backwater valve installed in
the building drain, branch of the building drain or horizontal
branch serving such fixtures.
Plumbing fixtures having flood
level rims above the elevation of the manhole cover of the
next upstream manhole in the public sewer shall not discharge
through a backwater valve.

Unless you are just saying it is a flat area and that is why it is not required?

Does anyone have a diagram of this requirement to show the novice the reason its required?

The flaw in this requirement is that the contractor typically does not install these unless required by the inspector which is the case here.

Yes they are to be accessible and we typically see them inside the foundation.

Outside the foundation they have to provide a larger pipe cyinder and a way to pull the flapper devise out. The one in the photo, I'm not sure how you access it?

On a gravity sewer system arn't you always going to have an upstream and down stream MH? A back up is going to cause sewage damage if there is no devise in place to prevent it. A MH that is above the house connection shouldn't be an issue if its a gravity system.

What is this code trying to do?

Not only not required but also not allowed due to the topography.
Going down hill with no way to back-up?

TP is going to get hung up on the flapper anyway, better have Roto Rooter on speed dial!

I always interpreted that section as a whole. In other words, if you're in a situation where you're going to need a ejector/lift pump, is also needs backflow protection. It says "located below the next upstream manhole OR below the main sewer level." If you have that condition then all the following applies. That's my take anyhow...

I always interpreted that section as a whole. In other words, if you're in a situation where you're going to need a ejector/lift pump, is also needs backflow protection. It says "located below the next upstream manhole OR below the main sewer level." If you have that condition then all the following applies. That's my take anyhow...
I believe the intent is it comes out of the manhole before the flood level rim of the fixture.....Has nothing to do with pump systems...?

I believe the intent is it comes out of the manhole before the flood level rim of the fixture.....Has nothing to do with pump systems...?
710.2 identifies pumps used when the system is below the crown level of the main sewer.

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

Does it then go on to say you need a check and full open valve on the discharge side of the sump? And then what is "better".. A check or a backwater?

P3007.2 Valves required. A check valve and a full open
valve located on the discharge side of the check valve shall be
installed in the pump or ejector discharge piping between the
pump or ejector and the gravity drainage system

We don't have P3007.2, we have section 710 and as a whole it covers "below the next upstream manhole or below the main sewer level."

Does it then go on to say you need a check and full open valve on the discharge side of the sump? And then what is "better".. A check or a backwater?

P3007.2 Valves required. A check valve and a full open
valve located on the discharge side of the check valve shall be
installed in the pump or ejector discharge piping between the
pump or ejector and the gravity drainage system
CPC mentions the backwater and check valve as an either or. I assume that a backwater valve on a discharge line from an ejector or pump would be more robust than the ABS valve in the picture. I have dealt with a few that were part of the ejector assembly.

IMG_3764.JPG

Last edited:
CPC mentions the backwater and check valve as an either or. I assume that a backwater valve on a discharge line from an ejector or pump would be more robust than the ABS valve in the picture. I have dealt with a few that were part of the ejector assembly.

View attachment 8966
Interesting that yours says "pressure rated"...Does that rule out all plastic or just the foam core?

I didn't know the answer so I Googled the question. The internet says that plastic is okay except for the foam core. One plumbing forum member had this, which he claimed came from Charlotte Pipe:

40665-4c27b72c0eb2d3ff892cff6b3ade7c6a.png

PVC is used on swimming pool systems and there is nominal pressure with those. The grinder/ejectors that I have inspected were installed for bathrooms at the far end of warehouses and as I recall copper, was used.

Last edited:
The inspector was there for a footing/slab inspection. The under-slab plumbing has been approved by another inspector.

Resized_20220517_104009.jpeg

I was shown this by a good friend. What you see is plywood backing for equipment in a studio. The hurricane clips are screwed to the stud, (front and one side) and screwed to the plywood. This leaves a wide space behind the plywood for plumbing and electrical. The method is bullet proof for strength, ease of installation and consistency.

I sent the pictures and the description to Simpson Strong-Tie with the hope that they would reward my friend for a stellar idea. I sent several emails and spoke to one of the engineers, but I did not get a response...not even a confirmation that they saw the emails.

KIMG0015_01_BURST1000015_COVER003.JPG

KIMG0020_01_BURST1000020_COVER001.JPG

KIMG0022_01_BURST1000022_COVER001 2.JPG

KIMG0022_01_BURST1000022_COVER001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: