• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I was cleaning up the photo library and found this picture from a virtual solar inspection. There's a bunch of it and I didn't see it until now.

20200916_091708.jpg

Here's another photo from a virtual inspection:

The #4 was moved so that there is paint where the setscrew engages.

20200916_090351.jpg

Is it damage or dirt?

20200916_090351 2.jpg

Last edited:
I have to wonder why the receptacle was placed next to the recently installed waste pipe which is not a cleanout fitting.

IMG_5398.jpeg

Solar contractors just don't care.

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4667.jpeg

The installer sent the second picture to show the mounting of the equipment. The Amphenol lay-in lug has two wires in the terminal. There is a cluster of bare copper wire against the aluminum rail. That's two violations that the installer was not aware of.

IMG_4667.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahaha got it. I see a lot of step flashing used to patch small holes so I didn't think twice about that part.

Now that you mention it there is a pattern of some sort, I wonder if they were using those holes to blow-in insulation, then step flashing to patch the holes? That last picture up close of the hole looks about the right size hole and you can see some insulation. I'll place my bet on that.

Back in the saddle... Did one day in a city. The contractor is not required to be on site for inspection. Had solar inspections. Upon arrival I found them just like the picture shows....I didn't touch anything to stage the scene. It happens several dozen times each week in southern California. A common practice for years and I am not aware of anyone having been electrocuted. I used to raise Hell about this....I am just one person and nobody pays attention to me.

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

Last edited:
Not only is the contractor not required to be there for the inspection the inspector is not expected to actually perform the inspection. To the right of the battery control panel is another panel.

IMG_3803.JPG