• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

You will see them in a future catalog soon after they patent it
They already have a patent on the hardware. It will work on wood studs, 1.5" and 1.25" metal studs. Backing in ceilings. All Simpson needs is a picture for the catalog. I wasn't expecting them to send him a big check....but a small one would have been nice. Of course, the engineer that I was dealing with didn't know what backing is or why they need it. You'd think that they make anything other than construction hardware.

Last edited:
Good idea but probably too expensive to be competitive...Guessing this is cheaper...Danbak makes blocking strips....In FRTW for those of you that may be requiring what the code does not...

1654863998245.png

Good idea but probably too expensive to be competitive...Guessing this is cheaper...Danbak makes blocking strips....In FRTW for those of you that may be requiring what the code does not...

View attachment 9048
A 700 lb. pallet of 250-48" long strips that are 16" on center is $3000 before shipping. I only found it for sale in lots of 250. That works out to $4 or $8 if you need two in the stud bay. And that is still before shipping. For that you get 5" wide coverage each. With Simpson hurricane clips at 98 cents plus scrap plywood the Danback is much more costly. The metal on the Danback is not described but it is cut with snips so it is thin compared to the hurricane clip. The Danback will not work on wood framing.

Last edited:
My neighbor had an inspection for rooftop solar yesterday. In California the AHJ is allowed to perform just one inspection for solar and that is the final inspection. The inspector was there for less than four minutes. The house is two story with five bedrooms and there wasn't time enough to verify the smoke and CO alarms much less perform an inspection of the solar. I don't know if the work passed inspection but the contractor and owner were all smiles.

An inspector sent me this. The next step is installing the windows.
The plans call for a MST48 at each corner. The contractor installed CS18. It is dutifully nailed to the entire header and sill. At the sill it is in the way of the window nailing flange.

Resized_20220705_125533(1).jpeg

Whats the purpose of the adjustable connectors above the window … the ones that have been mashed flat?

Whats the purpose of the adjustable connectors above the window … the ones that have been mashed flat?

Force Transfer Around Openings.... it is an engineered design that allows for partial credit of shear resistance from the sheathing around the opening.

Learn more from APA @ https://www.apawood.org/ftao
Sorry... if you were referring to the connectors at the rim board, it is likely an additional connection from the rim board to the top/bottom plates of the wall above/below. If they are Simpson A35, they should have been installed on the inside of the rim where they would not have been smashed flat. Looks suspect. But it is clearly an engineered design, so need to know what the engineer designed to know more for sure.

Hope they ordered a window with tempered glass?

Should be a gap between OSB panels, oh well, same thing happens here.

250.53(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes.
The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8 ft).

This was done by a licensed general contractor. There is ample evidence that the contractor should not be performing electrical work. Had anyone involved known much about the electrical code requirements the rod would be driven to a couple inches above the concrete. While that is short of 8' it has been an accepted practice forever.

The label is the true indication that they are clueless and not because they didn't read it. Since the label is present, the typical reply, "That's a ten foot long rod" will not suffice as usual. They didn't know that there is a ten foot rod available and perhaps they would not lie even if they did. Now the GEC and armor are too short but luckily, there is just one rod.

Resized_20220714_113158001.jpeg

Resized_20220714_113208002.jpeg

Besides the rod not driven far enough, do you have testing results of 25 ohms or less so that they can only drive one rod? See 250.53(2) 2017 NEC. It also looks like that condensing unit may be supplied with flexible cord, but can't tell for sure.

Besides the rod not driven far enough, do you have testing results of 25 ohms or less so that they can only drive one rod?
They wouldn’t know what an ohm is. The lucky part of the single rod is that there is less wast of #4 GEC and armor. But looking at the picture I think that I could be wrong about the single rod. The GEC doesn’t stop at the rod. ….but maybe it continues to the water main. Who knows….

The picture was sent to me by an inspector and the condenser was not mentioned by him.

Last edited:
They wouldn’t know what an ohm is. The lucky part of the single rod is that there is less wast of #4 GEC and armor. But looking at the picture I think that I was wrong about the single rod. The GEC doesn’t stop at the rod.

The picture was sent to me by an inspector and the condenser was not mentioned by him.
250.53(2) still applies, no test a 2nd rod is required & is the quickest & cheapest way to comply, the testing equipment is expensive and need to be qualified to perform the testing.

I can't say that I have ever seen a grounding rod set that high before, looks to far out in the pic to have hit a spread footer? The ground rod indicating 8-ft is diffently calling out ....WRONG on the install.

Plan check engineers get tired of the BS.

View attachment 8858

I find this slightly shocking. Dunno about your codes of conduct in the U.S., but it's drilled into our heads (and now encapsulated in law) that we are not to provide design guidance. The most I'd expect is "submit designs that comply with [insert code or standard reference.]

That correction notice is flippen ridiculous! The contractor should scream, how about something I can read. I would have an inspector on the carpet in front of me.

Charge the AHJ for translation from Coptic to English.

That's ingenious.

They wouldn’t know what an ohm is.

People are so resistant to knowledge.
Thank you, I will be back later this week.