• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Well now that I have had a cup of coffee and I can safely negotiate the physical world.... The picture was taken a long time ago...so long ago that I have no memory of it. I see signs that the panel was mounted over a hole in the wall so I probably rejected all of it. It is possible that I posted these pictures in this thread and there is a description but looking through 250 pages is not going to happen.

Last edited:
It is correct that a gas meter shall not be inside the dwelling. The meter indoors is an indication that some illegal construction took place. The corrections indicate that the inspector is clueless or lazy or both.

IMG_6800.JPG

Last edited:
What he says is correct. Maybe he knows it’s futile to dig too deep, so he scores what he was called to look at.

What he says is correct. Maybe he knows it’s futile to dig too deep, so he scores what he was called to look at.
When the inspector states that gas pipe can’t be under a slab or inside a home he has made two incorrect statements. The lowest common denominator is what we deal with and those statements might be taken as absolute. He should have stopped with, “A gas meter shall not be located indoors.” and included, “Obtain a plumbing permit to relocate the gas meter to the exterior.”

From there they can find out how to route gas pipe under a slab and in a building…..both of which are possible.

Whoa. Stop the train dude. You said “It is correct that a gas meter shall not be inside the dwelling.” and now you’re saying it is allowed?

I'm sorry. Having a bad day at work. I had a choice between covering up something i should not have done (a procedural item) by glossing over it, or telling the truth and admitting to getting out of sequence. They didn’t take it well.

I'm sorry. Having a bad day at work. I had a choice between covering up something i should not have done (a procedural item) by glossing over it, or telling the truth and admitting to getting out of sequence. They didn’t take it well.
No apology needed…. I have plenty of bad days…I’m going back to work so I can look forward to more.

I'd be excited to hear how the inspector believes gas makes it's way into the home to run appliances if the lines cannot be inside the building.

I'm either moving to SoCal or Canda to hang with ICE or TM.......which may also be ice in da great white north der.....

We have plenty of gas meters in buildings here...They just vent the regulator out....

The important thing is you told the truth about yourself and took responsibility for what you should not have done. A rare display of manhood and character in todays world

Reactions: ICE
Over the years as an inspector I was accused of making statements to contractors and owners that were, to put it mildly, colorful. Perhaps I was angry or maybe I just thought it was hilarious. Now and then as I was saying something I knew I was going to get chewed out for that. Whatever the case, on occasion, people called or wrote to complain.

When confronted with an accusation I always owned the truth. The net result was that managers knew that if I denied the accusation .... it didn't happen. They could rely on the fact that I had admitted to much worse accusations in the past. "So if he says that he didn't do it, he didn't do it."

The important thing is you told the truth about yourself and took responsibility for what you should not have done. A rare display of manhood and character in todays world
So far i have not been called on the carpet over this, if/when it happens that’s going to be my defense. I did B before A and fessed up ... i could have said i followed procedures, if someone had investigated they would have found the truth, and that would have been worse.

I found this on a commercial property. The owner said that it is a bidet. The hardware has me believing that it was made for that purpose. But I just can't imagine using it.

There is food involved with the business and I wonder what a health department would think about this.

20220815_123631.jpg

The opening is out of plumb....by a bunch. The contractor said that I was mistaken and he used a six foot level to prove it.

IMG_3820.JPG

We looked at the bubble and he said, "There I told you that it's okay." I said, "It's hard to argue with a spirit level."
He might have buried it in the back yard.

IMG_3826.JPG

I mentioned that I always check both sides of a level....so he did that.

IMG_3825.JPG