• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The inspection request was for framing and rough electrical of an ADU The person that met me is a young man that says that he is studying to become a contractor. The plans call for shear walls wherever there is no opening. There are no shear walls and few anchor bolts. The only window into the bedroom is 14" wide. Drywall screws were used on the plywood. There is an electrical panel in a clothes closet. There is a new roof and no attic ventilation. No smoke or CO alarms wired. It was 108° and I wrote 18 corrections before I noticed the drywall screws.

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

The young man was polite and not even a hint of upset. I felt sorry for him. The guy in the next post is a jerk.

The inspection was for a "meter set" which means that I have to inspect and approve the electrical. There is a well head and pump inside the building. It took thirty minutes to get there, The gate was open and the owner called me while I was there. He asked me when I would release this to Edison to energize. I said that I couldn't do that. He said F... you and hung up. I could have easily pushed the wobbly pole to the ground.

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

If you had approved it, no way in hell would a PoCo set a meter, in PG&E territory the pole has to be PG&E approved, since SCE is under the same PUC, I would guess they have similar requirements, PG&E is rather picky about poles, including a guy wire if the drop crosses a road.

I forgot to ask, what is on the other side of that mess?
A meter and disconnect. The drop has been disconnected at the utility pole. After the FU I didn't look any further. I did notice that there are no ground rods visible...of course the well casing might be the electrode but by the looks of it, there will be plenty of hoops after the pole is replaced.

Last edited:
The inspection request was for framing and rough electrical of an ADU The person that met me is a young man that says that he is studying to become a contractor. The plans call for shear walls wherever there is no opening. There are no shear walls and few anchor bolts. The only window into the bedroom is 14" wide. Drywall screws were used on the plywood. There is an electrical panel in a clothes closet. There is a new roof and no attic ventilation. No smoke or CO alarms wired. It was 108° and I wrote 18 corrections before I noticed the drywall screws.

The young man was polite and not even a hint of upset. I felt sorry for him. The guy in the next post is a jerk.
I don’t know the full story, but he sounds like the kind of person you want to help.

A meter and disconnect. The drop has been disconnected at the utility pole.
Where is that? Reason i ask … i have a colleague at work who lives in Lancaster, from her description the landscape sounds like your picture.

3/8" rebar. The next time I spot a thrift store I am going to look for dolls and teddy bears.

IMG_3850.JPG

Do you Allow the drywall screws for the window flanges? Most every installation instructions I have read require a 3/8" head on the fastener. Roofing nail or pan head screw is all we allow.

The contractor put it off on the owner to provide a ladder to inspect the RTU. As luck would have it, the city does not allow inspectors to climb ladderrs to access a roof. I coud see four sides and there is no 120 volt receptacle visible so I wrote the correction. Tomorrow I will find out that the city does not require a receptacle.

IMG_3882.JPG

Last edited:
The job is a 200 amp service upgrade. The corrections are:
1. The water main at the front shall serve as an electrode.
2. Label the circuit breakers.
3. Install a bonding bushing where the armored GEC enters the cabinet.
4. Terminate the armor the protects the GEC at the fitting.
5. Install a bonding jumper at the water heater between the hot, cold and gas pipes.

The contractor asked me to release the service to Edison. He explained that the owner has children and needs electricity. He said that this it a typical outcome in this city. I told him that nobody ever goes without power and to figure it out. Before I drove away an EDISON crew showed up and commenced to energize the service. No release necessary....they didn't even talk to me. I have one more day to do in that city....and wouldn't you know, it's a Friday.

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

Last edited:
When the inspector states that gas pipe can’t be under a slab or inside a home he has made two incorrect statements. The lowest common denominator is what we deal with and those statements might be taken as absolute. He should have stopped with, “A gas meter shall not be located indoors.” and included, “Obtain a plumbing permit to relocate the gas meter to the exterior.”
Speaks to my zealous belief that any request to correct a Code violation should be accompanied with a supporting Code/standard reference.

The inspection requested was for underground conduit. The contractor is a solar installer.

Looking left:
IMG_3906.JPG

At the corner:

IMG_3904.JPG

Looking right:

IMG_3905.JPG

A person who identified themselves as the "operations manager" called me. He says that nobody has ever made them expose the conduit. He asked if I knew the 15' rule which is that the conduit is only required to be visible every 15'. Unfotunatley I have not heard of that rule.

Last edited:
40' of 1" thinwall 52% filled. I included a "Be aware of a deration factor for more than three current carrying conductors in a raceway." However, since I will not do the followup inspection, that was wasted ink.

The dreation factor is the more important of the the two corrections. I'm pretty sure that few inspectors bother with that...especially on residential work. Knowing that makes me wonder if it is a worthy correction or just being picky.

IMG_3902.JPG

Last edited:
How was that fitting sealed where it entered the top of the box, and with that much pipe fill better hope they reamed the EMT well, going to make them redo it?

How was that fitting sealed where it entered the top of the box, and with that much pipe fill better hope they reamed the EMT well, going to make them redo it?
Here is a picture of the EMT entry. There is also a picture of the 3/0 service entrance conductors. There is plenty wrong with no AFCI on the 15&20 amp branch circuits as well as no GFCI on the swimming pool pump. I gave them a heads up about the more than three current carrying conductors in a raceway.

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

Last edited:
Even worse then where I live. Water heater was replaced in my mom's house, I was not involved but the excess gas flow valve was installed bass ackwards & inspector never caught it.

The inspection was for solar. The only information that I have is the address and the contractor's phone number....no permit....nothing but what the inspection request slip. So as soon as I see the service panel I assume that an upgrade was included in the scope of work. Luckily, the owner was present and he informed me that the service panel is several years old and it passed a final inspection.

IMG_3892.JPG