• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Based on the cleanliness of the water closet and surroundings, I wonder if the health department had been there in a while. :rolleyes:

Corrections that make no sense:

IMG_4199.JPG

This correction was written during a re-roof sheathing inspection. The existing transite vents were disallowed.

IMG_4205.JPG

This correction only applies to vertical walls.

As mtlogcabin pointed out in another thread, any framing that is less than 60° from horizontal is not a wall. Any wall less than 90° from horizontal is not vertical. My guess is that nearly all walls are not vertical.

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4213 2.JPG

Last edited:
Pictures sent to me by an inspector. The cabinet has been mounted over a hole in the wall with conductors leaving through the back wall. There has been a dismal effort to fix that.

Resized_20210205_124411.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20210203_124058.jpg

Another shake my head set of photos & ask what were they thinking? But that is the problem they were not, I have never had much use for EMT 90° fittings, and if they enter a cover as it looks it does, how does one access it? The EMT connector used as a substitute chase nipple, & the Myers type hub substituting for the proper bolted hub are sloppy choices, that fit in with the rest of the work. How is the damaged stucco going to be repaired?

The inspection was for solar....but not this solar array. This array was previously approved along with an electric service panel upgrade. The PV wire is laying on the roof. There is an armored GEC running under the rafter tails.

IMG_3847.JPG

They pointed out that the ground clamp was in bad shape so they replaced it.

IMG_3852.JPG

Apparently water behind vinyl siding is not an issue.

IMG_3844.JPG

Six feet of shear wall. I mentioned that there is a problem. The workman called the contractor. Contractor says that he has a letter from the engineer that blesses this.

IMG_3911.JPG

Big bundle in a big hole.

IMG_3915 2.JPG

One pipe clamp and one drywall screw.

IMG_3919 2.JPG

Half of the house has a new framed roof. The request was for roof sheathing. The contractor says that he uses the step ladder to access the roof.....mainly because ...well that's the ladder that he has..

IMG_3929.JPG

I said that there is no sediment trap. There was a previous inspection when the inspector wrote a correction to install a sediment trap. The animated owner protested that there is a sediment trap right behind the Unistrut. He's right and it's wrong.

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3923 2.JPG

I mentioned that the cloth straps are cutting into the duct he got a little more tense. When I commented that there's no attic ventilation to support combustion....the F work came out and he told me to leave.

IMG_3928.JPG

ICE, I am curious... when you do inspections, do you call out violations as you see them, or do you make a list and hit the worker/contractor/owner with a big list all at once at the end of the inspection?

Depends...Could come out of stackers too...It only needs to hold the cable until the drywall goes on....And then it does not need to be supported at all...
The only NEC section that specifically addresses this particular situation is 110.2. If they bent the fitting a little so that the NM cannot feasibly escape, it is both supported and secured. There is no requirement to use any particular method of support, or even a listed method of support. 2020 NEC 334.30.

NM is allowed to be fished in concealed spaces where you can't get in to support the cable without removing drywall per 334.30(B)(1).

I find it hard to believe contractors are still using these. However I see they still cannot install them properly. 120 ft long building and every one was installed like this.

1661880150061.jpeg

I am just saying that it is foolish to pick nits...If ICE was teaching them a lesson, Shirley I understand that too...
It's more like, "Picking fly shlt out of the pepper."

Look at the pictures. The electrical work was a cluster of corrections. As to the pipe clamps....they are everywhere and the few staples that I found were over-driven. I told them to remove the pipe clamps and I explained what 4.5' on center means. I had to school them about bundling, cable clamps and shear walls and why the foam is only supposed to be used at plate lines. So yes the pepper is cleaner but I still wouldn't use it.

IMG_3920.JPG