• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Norcal

Am i seeing that right? The copper wires that come up through the middle knockout ... twist around ... but aren’t attached to anything.
I see the same thing, to add to it there is a spot on the bar to accept it without the need for any accessories.

ICE

Am i seeing that right? The copper wires that come up through the middle knockout ... twist around ... but aren’t attached to anything.
Yes that was done that way. Notice the cable entering the back of the panel. I haven't done an inspection yet and don't have enough pictures to know, but I suspect that the panel is surface mounted and the cable out the back is a deal breaker. So when it is redone there should be a better outcome with the grounding.

ICE

The job is a service panel upgrade. The picture was provided to demonstrate that a jumper was installed at the water heater from cold to hot to gas. When there armored wire one might assume that they are relatively new at this type of work. I know that making assumptions is not appropriate so I just assume that nobody ever knows what they are doing.

Water Heater.jpeg

ICE

The project is tesla two storage batteries. All of the load that was fed from the main panel has been moved to a 200amp selected load panel. They have installed a 175 amp breaker in the main that goes through a gateway to power the selected load. The main panel label limits the maximum permitted breaker to 100amps.

5-Dec 29 2020 05_32am-1kaN.jpeg

4-Dec 29 2020 05_31am-mkUY.jpeg

4-Dec 29 2020 05_31am-mkUY 2.jpeg

Norcal

To add, what about wire bending space too? For that size cable 4" would be required, they are trying to stuff 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag.

ICE

The inspection was for the furnace replacement. The water heater was installed sometime in the past without benefit of a permit. The vent is a correction. The contractor pointed out that the venting was existing.....like I didn't know that.

IMG_3366 2.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
Did you gig em for a flex GAS line without a tag or is that not required or enforced anymore?

Even double wall requires a 1-inch clearance, not sure what's going on at the ceiling?

ICE

Can you reject the furnace installation because the vent is not connected to a proper vent stack?
It depends on which manager gets the contractor's complaint....that's if the contractor complains. Some managers will forgive all manner of deficiency as long as it was there before the contractor got there. Other managers know a situation when they see one.

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
May not be a CA requirement?

2018 IFGC 401.9 shall bear the identification of the manufacture.

411.1 (4) listed and labeled appliance connectors

I guess if the CSST appliance connector has this ANSI Z21.24/CGA 6.10 stamped on it somewhere, you can approve?

Just didn't see the tag in the pic that has a lot of information on it in regards to installation and certification.

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
Agree, the plans will tell us where the stickers are to be placed, FAILED inspection I suspect.

Interesting no new conduits near the meter?

linnrg

Sawhorse
ICE - What I read Rapid shutdown is per 690.12 "if on or in a building shall...." Do you not have any pole based systems non rooftop or wall that have sun tracking etc.? I had one project that had both roof and wall arrays and at the time I wondered how is the person walking by an array or a rooftop maintenance person protected or is the only concern for first responders? Up here we have long handled snow removal devices. snow tool.jpeg

ICE

ICE - What I read Rapid shutdown is per 690.12 "if on or in a building shall...." Do you not have any pole based systems non rooftop or wall that have sun tracking etc.? I had one project that had both roof and wall arrays and at the time I wondered how is the person walking by an array or a rooftop maintenance person protected or is the only concern for first responders? Up here we have long handled snow removal devices. View attachment 7305
So far I have only encountered rooftop arrays.

ICE

I was sent this picture by a solar contractor. I noted that the stranded wire shows damage.

Image 1-7-21, 09.20.26.jpeg

The contractor disagreed with that assessment so I sent him a picture. He still disagrees with me. He claims that what I see as damage is an optical illusion. So I asked him to eliminate the optical illusion.

IMG_3447.jpeg