• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The neighbor is upset because it is too close to the property line. I'm not upset because he didn't get a permit.

28719449526_b55f3638b9_k.jpg

28467032620_82b42a6511_h.jpg

Last edited:
ICE, I can't find that patio bracket in the Simpson catalog and if it is it will have at least twenty more holes in it!:rolleyes:

The contractor that did this became indignant and demanded a code section for each correction that I wrote.

28846076091_d0f0f6afab_b.jpg

Last edited:
Twice this week I encountered a service panel left open and unattended. In both cases the contractor's rep was waiting in their car. In both cases I refused to do an inspection.

The first guy was the contractor that did the work. I went back on that job today. He thanked me for burning him and said that there is no excuse for being so dangerous.

28322300374_687586290d_b.jpg

The second guy told me that I am crazy.

28322286014_e795ecdbb0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I wrote a correction for a roofer to clean the gutter. Well there is no code for that. I was on the hot seat for doing that. I get the feeling that many contractors were raised by wolves.

28725880000_4efbe3d7c6_h.jpg

Last edited:
The conduit is 1.5" above the roof for about 30'. I wrote a correction to de-rate the amperage capacity of the wire because of heat. The contractor keeps telling me that there aren't too many wires in the conduit. I keep saying that is true but....I'm not getting through to him.

28746698770_1237f1e3c6_b.jpg

Last edited:
I have a mantra for dealing with certain contractors and designers who are ... liberal ... with their interpretation of the code: It's not necessary that they agree, only that they comply.

Most people want to do good work and build good buildings, so I can just explain how building it to code is better than what they had done. They see the advantage and build that way from then on. Other folks need a little more "motivation" so I save this for them.

Reactions: JBI
Well Flipper had to remove a bunch of drywall on a bootlegged addition. Here is a good example of why we make them do it.

28970731492_ff47f27546_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sheeting needs more fasteners (nails) and the plywood gap should not exceed 1/8". Roofing nails being used to install roof sheeting from the size of those nail heads I suspect, can't tell from the photo's.

Need confirmation.

post #2124
Dislodged vent line, possible dissimilar metal issue, GFCI receptacle box could have been legally installed if studs and drywall were installed prior to electrical work but if not, MC cable should have been attached to stud and not loose in the wall, metal studs maybe over cut.

Ice, please confirm code violations

On the dirty gutters... 2 points of attack:
1 - The Code requires work to be done in a workmanlike manner.
Leaving the mess behind is not workmanlike
2 - The contract for the job (probably) requires the contractor to leave the work area 'broom clean' at the end of the project (or each day in many cases).
The gutter is not 'broom clean'.

My average day, I went to lunch at a hot dog place yesterday, I got up to go to the bathroom setting my drink on top of my newspaper so someone wouldn't think I had left and take my newspaper, newspapers cost $1.50 now. When I came back the paper was gone, a good looking redhead sitting nearby pointed to a heavyset guy reading the paper telling me that he had taken it. I went over to him and said: "Hey that's my paper, buy your own damn paper." He sheepishly gave me the paper. When he was done he went outside and lit a cigarette standing there, when he was done he threw the cigarette in the lot and climbed into a little white hybrid car and drove off, on the door of the car it had our county logo with the words "Department of Conservation and Development" under the logo. That's what they call the building department now, a building inspector had stolen my newspaper!

conarb,

Was it a LA Times in large print? if so, no big loss, I'd talk to the redhead instead!:D

conarb,

Was it a LA Times in large print? if so, no big loss, I'd talk to the redhead instead!:D

PC Inspector, you may be right, building inspectors are usually good guys, not thieves, I've seen her before, she may have put him up to it to try to start a conversation and pick me up, we have to watch those redheads, especially if they think you have money. More interesting than Tiger's average day though.

I don't know its close lol, I see some weird crap on my inspections but ICE gets some REALLY weird ones. I only do building, my elec, and plbg,mech not to good yet so seeing his stuff does help. But some of those I dont always see all the violations.:(

29062854836_1fb89ae2d6_b.jpg

29062855556_6738f28487_b.jpg

From the rod it goes to a water main at the front. HVAC contractors are not the best when it comes to service upgrades.

Last edited:
These are on the front of a house. I do not know what they are for. Do you?

28990460132_e154c04d92_b.jpg

The one on the left is dripping water.

28477399423_9b30902719_z.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know its close lol, I see some weird crap on my inspections but ICE gets some REALLY weird ones. I only do building, my elec, and plbg,mech not to good yet so seeing his stuff does help. But some of those I dont always see all the violations.:(

That's becasue Tiger seems to just inspect the work of a bankrupt solar company, no matter how much tax payer money goes to them they can't afford to hire compeant people to work for them.

Mercury News said:
SAN MATEO -- Facing mounting losses, SolarCity on Wednesday announced a corporate restructuring, including layoffs and slashed executive pay.

The San Mateo solar panel installer is setting aside $3 million to $5 million for restructuring, primarily to pay for severance payments, the company told regulators. Most of the buyout packages will be paid this year. The company also cut the salaries of co-founders Lyndon and Peter Rive from $275,000 to $1.

SolarCity, the largest residential solar installer in the United States, employs about 13,000 workers. It serves 285,000 customers in about 20 states and the District of Columbia.

SolarCity spokeswoman Kady Cooper said the company would not release details about the cuts. While sales have improved, she said, the company still fell short of expectations for the first half of the year. SolarCity revenues grew 80 percent during the most recent quarter, but it still had net losses of $55 million in the second quarter. The company has yet to turn a profit.¹

Maybe they'll blame the building inspectors in bankruptcy court for their failures.

¹ http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_30259072/solarcity-laying-off-workers-restructuring

I haven't seen many Solar City installations lately. They threatened to boycott my area several times in the past few years....so maybe they did it.

One cost that they could avoid is permit fees on jobs that get canceled. I expire a dozen or, more each year. I called them a few years ago and asked them if they want to apply for a refund but so far they haven't. Country wide that could be a lot of money.