• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The washers are suppose to be 3"x3"x1/4"....I didn't put a tape on it. The correction said "too small" The correction for the landing said,"I'm not convinced that this is a good idea". The contractor reminded me that his engineer said it was fine.

ICE,
The washers are suppose to be 3"x3"x1/4"....I didn't put a tape on it. The correction said "too small" The correction for the landing said,"I'm not convinced that this is a good idea". The contractor reminded me that his engineer said it was fine.

That engineer will give his stamped letter on that for the file right?

I have never seen the 3x3-1/4 inch washers used in this area, they use old concrete foundation spreader pieces and regular 1/2-inch washers here. I think I'll do some surfing for those washers my friend.

We use all 3x plates and 3x3 plate washers, we have since the 1998 CBC (1997 UBC based), not only mudsills but also plates setting on subfloors, coming to you in the near future.

Please excuse my ignorance,
Is the 3x actually a product that is sold in your area? Who makes this product?

Please excuse my ignorance,
Is the 3x actually a product that is sold in your area? Who makes this product?
Sold in all lumber yards, including Home Desperate
Multiple manuf's

The 3x plate requirements can be found in section IBC section 2305

Last edited:
the electrician did not see that there was excess wire caught on the attic access edge when he was pulling the home runs.

As far as derating - some say that since this is not bundled for more than 24" then no derating - some say if those holes are filled with firecaulk or expanding foam then derating occurs.

35551299090_8f6c2a07b7_b.jpg

According to the contractor, this short section of trenchless sewer pipe was cut out because when it was installed the smaller diameter pipe was not connected. The smaller pipe serves a clothes washer. I have a hard time believing anybody anymore.

35551301670_6ee5a3f4cc_b.jpg

The required procedure for the installation of trenchless sewer pipe includes a camera run done before the work commences; with the inspector present. That should avert such mistakes as eliminating a lateral. I have never witnessed the "before" camera run. The contractor always has an excuse for why it wasn't done.....it was an emergency repair.....we didn't know about the procedure.....their office didn't give them the instructions that BS stapled to the permit.

In this case, no permit was obtained for the trenchless and it was done over a year ago. Well that's all according to the latest contractor.

Last edited:
* * * & * * *
" I enjoyed working for the lady "
Sounds like you have a golden opportunity calling you.
Is it possible for you to start a Residential & Commercial
construction forensics company in addition to your current
Inspector job ?.......This is similar to what the Forum owner
did.......Plus, it would give you control over the level of
inspection, and "piles and piles of cash", and you COULD
make a significant difference in hiring & training the next
generation of qualified Inspectors.

Hell's bells Shirley, it might just give you some satisfaction
to be a Game Changer in your area. ;)

* * * & * * *

My certifications expire for the eighth time next January. I'm hoping that the only license that I will need after that is a fishing license.....oh and I might kill some deer.

Last edited:
On April 2-17 I was told that our department would accept the fact that unattended, exposed, energized metal presents an immediate life safety hazard. Four months and some days later I find it everywhere. I have had dozens in the last two months. Here is today:

36330546356_49c0fce8a6_b.jpg

The contractor's employee was in a vehicle across the street. The equipment is in the backyard......with the little girl and her chicken.

36254404591_0ebb5712f0_b.jpg

The worker was contrite, apologetic, defensive and just not someone that I would trust with electricity. He told me all about the inspectors that walk away from an inspection if the equipment isn't wide open. Those inspectors are us.

A conservative estimate of the number of times that this has transpired in this jurisdiction over four months is 2000. Well for sure the number with little girls is hard to estimate and forget about counting chickens.

Last edited:

So did you call the engineer?? I've done that more than once - like the time I was suppose to verify some lag bolts going into the wall ... the problem was the wall didn't exist. I mean the rest of the dimensions, the rest of the walls, everything else was there, but this pony wall wasn't there (anymore). Don't know what happened to it, evidently someone demolished it but I had the hardest time convincing the engineer that the wall just flat didn't exist anymore. In the end I won, but it was only because I told him I couldn't sign off on something that I couldn't verify.

So did you call the engineer?? I've done that more than once - like the time I was suppose to verify some lag bolts going into the wall ... the problem was the wall didn't exist. I mean the rest of the dimensions, the rest of the walls, everything else was there, but this pony wall wasn't there (anymore). Don't know what happened to it, evidently someone demolished it but I had the hardest time convincing the engineer that the wall just flat didn't exist anymore. In the end I won, but it was only because I told him I couldn't sign off on something that I couldn't verify.
The job is in another inspectors area and I was there while he was on vacation. I haven't been back so I don't know the outcome. I did not call the engineer.

A flipper created a laundry room without a dryer vent. I asked for a dryer vent. I also asked for a cap on the gas valve. This is their best effort.

36186614264_86915d18de_b.jpg

36850976072_6c41da5174_b.jpg

I've got to wonder what kind of fool that they think I am.

Last edited:
Flipper didn't have a ladder to access the roof at the first inspection. There wasn't much doubt that once there I might find some issues.

36912349612_61557e1e2a_b.jpg

The condenser is not attached to the building.

I wasn't able to remove the fuse holder for fear of ripping the disconnect off the condenser.

36269359883_29594bb8f5_b.jpg

As luck would have it, there is an existing roof jack that they were able to utilize.

36912350622_55640d0423_b.jpg

Last edited: