• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The project is a fire repair. The inspection request was for:
Drywall nailing in the garage and a bedroom.
Furnace and AC as well as new ducting.
Water heater.
Electrical service panel and limited rewire.

I have not been exposed to this job previously. I sent PDF files that are guides on what pictures to provide for each trade. I received 51 pictures and there will be another 25 after they get with the program. I got to 44 corrections without much of any pictures for the electrical. I didn't say anything about the corrections. I did ask for the rest of the pictures.

You just know that they are going to complain about losing the door. The risers look almost equal.

IMG_9642.jpeg

IMG_9640.jpeg

Last edited:
Self-closing hinge on the door ... nice, but is one enough?
Thank goodness the risers match, almost makes up for the tread depth.
I like the fancy elbow setup on the black pipe.
T&P out the back wall ... ?
Whats the power cord coming out of the hole in the wall?
An extra tap on the gas pipe. If i was a kid i would be using that to fill balloons.

* * = = * *

Drip Leg on the gas piping ?
Drain line for the Water Heater pan ?
Bonding the hot & cold piping ?

* * = = * *

Wonder why the door lock is backwards?:oops:

Are they pulling combustion are from the garage to the furnace room?

Wonder why the door lock is backwards?:oops:

Are they pulling combustion are from the garage to the furnace room?
The combustion air openings lead to the outdoors. This water heater is in a garage and they provided the openings. Should I tell them that the combustion air openings are misplaced......you know, commence within 12" blah blah blah. I didn't know that vent caps can come with built-in storm collars.

IMG_9627.jpeg

Last edited:
ICE, You sure find so interesting stuff in the field!

Do you think they have 1-inch clearance on the Type-B through the ceiling?

? Isn't aluminum wire the normal thing for POCO feeders out your way?
I seldom see aluminum wire. 166 amps requires 4/0 Aluminum conductor.

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter....4/0 wire is 5/8"....5/8" x 8 x2 = 10" diameter circle.

Last edited:
I seldom see aluminum wire. 166 amps requires 4/0 Aluminum conductor.

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter....4/0 wire is 5/8"....5/8" x 8 x2 = 10" diameter circle.
Around here it's very rare to see copper feeders.

While I have adopted creative interpretations of the code there are limits. The building official cannot modify the building code if it is not workable.

Baring backup data showing lesser restrictive provisions in future codes provide comparable safety, lesser restrictive provisions in future codes cannot be automatically be allowed.

Of course if strict compliance is really not feasible you could always consider IBC Section 104.10.

Has ICC ever considered that their model codes have problems?

Those meter/main panels are convertible from UG to OH feed, all the installers has to do is move the lugs since the factory default is underground feed.

How are they going to take being turned down for failure to follow manufacturers instructions? 110.3(B).