• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Average day 5-15-13

steveray said:
ICE....You guys don't have the 2" up and 2" down on the nail plating at the top and bottom of wall? (IPC)
No we don't have that. At least I haven't found that.

Section 312.9 Steel Nail Plates. requires protection 1.5" past each side of a pipe but does not require 2" up and down.

305.8 Protection against physical damage.

In concealed locations where piping, other than cast-iron or galvanized steel, is installed through holes or notches in studs, joists, rafters or similar members less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) from the nearest edge of the member, the pipe shall be protected by shield plates. Protective shield plates shall be a minimum of 0.062-inch-thick (1.6 mm) steel, shall cover the area of the pipe where the member is notched or bored, and shall extend a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) above sole plates and below top plates.

CA is UPC...correct? That must be why....we don't extend past the sides, but up and down at the plates for baseboard and crown nails? I guess...

mmmarvel said:
Whadda mean they torn up the shear wall??? Looks like structural insulation foam to me.
What's worse is that the structural insulation foam is not an approved fireblock material.

ICE said:
What's worse is that the structural insulation foam is not an approved fireblock material.
the grate stuff foam we have here come in 2 color; natural and orange, the if you read the can they have the same ratings and the natural color is $2.00 a can cheaper.

ICE said:
Yeah, but the fiberglass insulation they are going to use is.....7. Batts or blankets of mineral wool or glass fiber or other approved materials installed in such a manner as to be securely retained in place.

Is it fireblock, or sealing the annular space around pipes and wires. Most of the Dow product (yellow, orange, blue, hot pink, whatever) are all listed in the same ESR and are approved for sealing the annular space around pipes and wires. It is approved for gaps over 1" wide.

I know you are in CA, so YMMV.

Tim

I have seen yellow and orange foam. I look for the word fireblock on the can. The yellow continues to burn when the source of a flame is removed. The orange shrinks away when subjected to a flame but will not burn like the yellow does. I wanted to reject them both but I was told that I must accept the orange because it is listed as a fireblock.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were building a home I would use true firestop sealant. That being said, the code is the minimum requirements and that requirement is to prevent the passage of flame and products of combustion. Nobody ever said building to the minimum requirements is a great home.

I note that the 2012 code has a new requirement that the sealant meet ASTM E136. We here in NY are still using the 2006-based code and ESR-1961 covers the foam for the 2006 code edition.

Again, YMMV depending on whether or not your code contains the E136 requirement (admittedly I didn't know they had added that, as we are not using the newer codes yet).

Tim

I wonder how much is too much for a roll-off truck to pick up.

14375442770_438ebf016f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well I haven't a clue. They were used as lawn border. There's a big pile waiting to make it to the dumpster.

ICE said:
I have seen yellow and orange foam. I look for the word fireblock on the can. The yellow continues to burn when the source of a flame is removed. The orange shrinks away when subjected to a flame but will not burn like the yellow does. I wanted to reject them both but I was told that I must accept the orange because it is listed as a fireblock.
Firestop vs Fireblock Expanding Foams, Flame / Burn Test ... check this video out that was sent to me about the fire block or orange foam. We use to allow it at a fire block but not no longer, however they can use at a draft stop only.

Moscow said:
Firestop vs Fireblock Expanding Foams, Flame / Burn Test ... check this video out that was sent to me about the fire block or orange foam. We use to allow it at a fire block but not no longer, however they can use at a draft stop only.
Ya those meds are strong stuff...eat them for too long and I feel stuffed.

By the way, you forgot to add the video link.