• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bedroom or storage room or bonus room

I agree with those who follow the labels shown on the plans.

---

A "garage" labeled "kitchen" would be a kitchen if it met the requirements of a kitchen.

georgia plans exam said:
If a room is designated as a den, library, bonus room or whatever, that is what it is whether or not it has a closet. I sometimes wonder what that room is called when the house is eventually sold but, that is beyond our purview.GPE
It's called a bedroom when it's sold.

Glennman CBO said:
Whatever the room is titled is what the room is. There is no such thing as a closet automatically making a room a sleeping room. If the room has a closet and it is called a "den", then it is a "den" that just happens to have a closet in it.
I would have to disagree.

Bootleg said:
If the room has a closet it will also need a smoke detector and an egress window.
Got a code section to back that up?

I am not aware of any definition in the IRC that states a bedroom must have a closet or that any room with a closet must be a bedroom.

Bootleg said:
It's called a bedroom when it's sold.
I don't care if they call it a bedroom when they sell the home, that is up to the homeowner. If the submitted plans indicate that the room is not a bedroom then that is how it should be treated.

Bootleg said:
I would have to disagree.
Do you have a code section to back that up?

Chris

This issue is only slightly related to septic requirements (number of bedrooms). It's my understanding that in my area any room with a closet is considered as a bedroom for septic system design. I don't know what the actual code says. For houses on septic, I do not design a closet or storage space for the den for this reason. If not on septiic, I have shown storage space as part of a den. It's usually fairly obvious that a room is designed as a den or bedroom based on location in the plan.

I go with the others who say note on the permit drawings that it is not to be a sleeping and be done with it.

Ok, Ok, Ok, wait. Now who here has ever gotten a phone call from a resident who recently purchased a home, built in the last 20 years, and were asked "I just purchased this home and there is a bedroom in the basement with no escape window?"?

Anybody? What is your typical response to that? I suppose it would have to be "We didn't issue a permit for a bedroom." or "We didn't issue a permit." or "It must be a storage room."

rktect 1 said:
Ok, Ok, Ok, wait. Now who here has ever gotten a phone call from a resident who recently purchased a home, built in the last 20 years, and were asked "I just purchased this home and there is a bedroom in the basement with no escape window?"? Anybody? What is your typical response to that? I suppose it would have to be "We didn't issue a permit for a bedroom." or "We didn't issue a permit." or "It must be a storage room."
Just had that one this week. Prospective buyers are disputing realtors claim of "3 bedroom" when a basement bedroom has no EERO.

We have no record of a finished basement (surprise) So it's a 2 bedroom to me.

mj

Bootleg: Do you have a code section to back up your opinion or has your local code been amended to include the basis for your objection? If your code has not been amended, then you don't have a basis for your objection. The plan should be reviewed and inspections performed based on the label on the plans and the CO should be noted.

It's whatever they want to call it IMHO. Nothing more.

As to I just bought this and it's not permitted stuff. It's a sad story but then you need to comply with getting a permit and fixxing all that's wrong is my response.

Coug Dad said:
job saverSo, if I put a closet in my basement to lock up guns, booze, business records, Christmas presents, or other items I don't want the kids to get into, you are going to classify that as a bedroom?????
As a rule, if the room otherwise meets other habitable room requirements, and has a closet, the answer is yes, I am going to classify it as a bedroom.

brudgers: There is not a code section I know of. Still, it is a guideline or baseline that we use to establish the difference between a sleeping area or a living area.

So, when I fall asleep on my living room chair, it is now a sleeping room and needs a smoke detector, and egress window....Where does it end

The room is as indicated on the plans.

Wrong as in "in error", or as in morally wrong? Whether it is wrong or not depends on whether or not you are looking at the intent of the code, or merely the letter of the code.

Personally, I believe the intent of addressing egress elements, smoke alarm requirements, etc., is simply to prevent people from dying in housefires, in the rooms of a home most likely to be used for sleeping on a regular basis. If I error, it is on the side of caution.

And, as previously said, the closet rule is a baseline. There are rooms with closets that are obviously not intended to be bedrooms.

Labels are at least as arbitrary as the closet rule, and more subject to being misused if allowed to circumvent restrictions.

I find this to be very funny I said this is the way I call it as a building inspector and I am very consistent.

If it looks like a bedroom and has a closet it must have an egress window and a smoke detector if you want me to approve it.

How do you justify having smoke detectors in every bedroom? MOST house fires start in other locations than bedrooms.

Jobsaver said:
It ends with the closet in my ahj.
Is a storage space with a door a closet? Entry halls are by your definition a bedroom.

Is a Pantry with a door a closet? Kitchens are by your definition a bedroom.

Yankee said:
How do you justify having smoke detectors in every bedroom? MOST house fires start in other locations than bedrooms.
Yankee,

That's right most house fires start in other locations than a bedroom.

So when you are in your bedroom asleep and the fire is in another location your interconnected smoke alarm will wake you and because you have an egress window the fire fighter can save you.

mark handler said:
Is a storage space with a door a closet? Entry halls are by your definition a bedroom.Is a Pantry with a door a closet? Kitchens are by your definition a bedroom.
I believe this is why we have building codes and need building inspectors.

Bootleg said:
Yankee,That's right most house fires start in other locations than a bedroom.

So when you are in your bedroom asleep and the fire is in another location your interconnected smoke alarm will wake you and because you have an egress window the fire fighter can save you.
Of course.

Why not simply insist on EERO and a smoke alarm in every room which has a door? What about rooms with no closets that turn into bedrooms? A closet-less den is a likely candidate.