• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bedroom or storage room or bonus room

We've run into this problem in the past where the plans showed a bedroom with a door from the garage opening into it, the architect changed the bedroom to an "Office" on the plans and it was then approved...... you can't give a guy a ticket just because he owns a Ferrari that can do 200 mph, unless he actually goes over the speed limit...... and gets caught......

beach:

I have had the exact same circumstance, but would not approve the plan. The builder changed the closet to built-in cabinetry for office storage. Plan approved.

I guess I am making it harder to build that Ferrari. And, that "bonus room" with a closet. And, that "seperate mother-in-law quarters" that is really a duplex.

But, I do not give many tickets.

From the 2006 IRC

CHAPTER 2

DEFINITIONS

R201.3 Terms defined in other codes. Where terms are not

defined in this code such terms shall have meanings ascribed to

them as in other code publications of the International Code

Council.

From the 2006 IPMC

SECTION 202

GENERAL DEFINITIONS

BEDROOM. Any room or space used or intended to be used

for sleeping purposes in either a dwelling or sleeping unit.

BEDROOM. Any room or space used or intended to be used for sleeping purposes in either a dwelling or sleeping unit.
So a den or bonus room or office that may double as a guest sleeping room would have to comply. Just ask right questions and review it on the information provided.

Well I see we're beating ourselves up again on what's the proper call. The code as usual is vague and will continue to be that way so the best one can do is what their jurisdiction has been doing in the past. Would be great if the code covered it and people wouple wouldn't lie as to save $$$ from tax man, septic or fees.

Ain't going to happen IMHO so if you want to call it something because you think it might be used for a bedroom be prepared for the one that will balk at doing the required items needed. Rewrite your code section to include the things you think are important.

Until then it is what's it's listed on the plan.

IF they "intended" to use it for sleeping purposes.

IF incidental and they (the owner) originally did not "intend" to use the room for sleeping purposes then no.

I don't think just throwing a label on a room justifies what a room is. If a plan reviewer determines the intent of the room is a bedroom then that room is a bedroom.

Now how do you know what the intent is?? Judgement call? We make judgement calls all the time in our profession.

If it looks like a skunk, smells like a skunk, then it's Janet Reno!

Well said, FredK. As was stated earlier, we have no control over what someone does after they move in the house. Review and inspect for what is on the plan. You cannot require something because "I know that is what you are going to do with it.", that just won't stand up in court. If you feel that strongly, amend your code to include those requirements.

Thanks mt. No such definition in the 2006IRC.
But the IRC does allow you to use a definition found in other ICC code publications

R201.3 Terms defined in other codes.

Where terms are not defined in this code such terms shall have meanings ascribed to them as in other code publications of the International Code Council.

Make sure you write an ordinance prohibiting "sofabeds" in living rooms that don't comply with bedroom requirements :eek:

mtlogcabin said:
But the IRC does allow you to use a definition found in other ICC code publications R201.3 Terms defined in other codes.

Where terms are not defined in this code such terms shall have meanings ascribed to them as in other code publications of the International Code Council.
Thanks again mt. I am glad to have a definition.

Still, the definition given goes to intent. And, the question bears asking, who's intent.? The builder? The architect? The original owner? The third owner? The code official?

WOW!........take a day away from the forum and look what happens!

We used to go with the ol' closet with a clothes rod, now we just go with the labeled intended use at the time of final inspection and move on.

JMHO (at this late date0

We keep our sofabeds on the front porch in Arkansas!
And you have to share with the hound and kerr dogs :p

Thankfully when I vist the daughter down there she has a clean one in the living room for the wife and I. Come to think of it. living room has a door that leads directly out side so no Egress window required and the smoke alarm is 5 feet down the hall with no door so technically it servers the living room (same ceiling level) So I would pass it as a room that may be intended for sleeping purposes. ;)

Seriously, this hits close to home.... when I designed my remodel, I added a large office for my wife who "telecommutes" for her job, the plan check engineer in my city required me to remove the "closet" that I had shown on the plans..... the "closet" was for basic office supplies, etc. although it was big enough to hang clothes in. I ended up speaking to the BO and asked him to show me the code section that says an office can't have a closet, he stated that the office “could” be used as bedroom.... I told him that any room could be used as a sleeping area, the plan says office, I’m intending to use it as an office and you’re basically calling me a liar….let’s get the City attys. opinion on the city assuming that I will do something contrary to what I show on the plans.

My wife has a nice office with a closet and I try not to assume or be too hypocritical after that ordeal. If the plan shows other than a bedroom, someone sleeps in it and has problems, the liability falls on the owner.

Where do you sleep when your wife kicks you out of the bedroom???? :p

Jobsaver said:
brudgers: There is not a code section I know of. Still, it is a guideline or baseline that we use to establish the difference between a sleeping area or a living area.
Then you are not applying the code correctly. Since you are knowingly doing so, another line of work is probably appropriate.

beach said:
Make sure you write an ordinance prohibiting "sofabeds" in living rooms that don't comply with bedroom requirements :eek:
My dog sleeps on the floor.

Better prohibit floors.

Mule said:
... intended to be used for sleeping purposes in either a dwelling or sleeping unit.
Im in trouble so often it is "...intended..." that the couch ...." be used for sleeping purposes".

I think I've slept in every room of my house at one time or another, including the bathroom. If it's a living room, it only needs to meet the requirements of a living room for minimum size, light and ventilation, etc. even if it's enclosed. Otherwise, every enclosed room that "could possibly" be used as a sleeping area would have to have smoke and CO detectors and EERO's.

You can't protect people from themselves. I still believe in personal freedom and one of those freedoms is I can fall asleep in my Lazy-Boy, in my enclosed living room, watching TV.