• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

brick and block foundation

When I ran jobs the office would give contracts to some sketchy subs. Now and then I would ask the office to buy out a rotten sub and get a new sub. It makes sense when you factor in the lousy outcome otherwise.

Better to lose $3,000.00 and get a decent building.
Here in NC the foundation subs need no licence. Seems like they would........or maybe they weren't even foundation guys.

Last edited:
Got about $3K into the builder and $5200 in lot prep. I don't want this to get legal. I got a text from him. He wants a couple days to get his head clear....I said OK. It would be good to work it out. Just in case, I found a construction attorney but better to try and resolve it.
Buck:

You are definitely right, in litigation everybody losses except the lawyers, and if there is money there they'll milk it for all it's worth.

Buck, it shouldn't take a couple days to clear his head. You could do that with a two by!!!

I'd ask for a meeting ASAP to bring closure, keep a running log of all events but in the end if the Engineer signed off on the structural stability your sole avenue appears to be based on workmanship which would either have to be litigated in a court or possibly an arbitrator or even a third party consumer protection of some type.

From my view as an inspector, if revised plans are submitted that match what's in the field prepared by an engineer there's not much more one can seek from an inspection standpoint.

Buck:

You are definitely right, in litigation everybody losses except the lawyers, and if there is money there they'll milk it for all it's worth.
Yes Conard, I'd better be open to resolution. I was thinking this afternoon that I could knock down that foundation myself with a sledge hammer....probably have it apart and disposed of in a couple of weeks. I think the blocks would come apart easily. The hard part would be the footing with the continuous rebar fused into the concrete. To be honest, it would be a great challenge and the end result would be worth the effort......better follow due process though.

Buck, it shouldn't take a couple days to clear his head. You could do that with a two by!!!

I'd ask for a meeting ASAP to bring closure, keep a running log of all events but in the end if the Engineer signed off on the structural stability your sole avenue appears to be based on workmanship which would either have to be litigated in a court or possibly an arbitrator or even a third party consumer protection of some type.

From my view as an inspector, if revised plans are submitted that match what's in the field prepared by an engineer there's not much more one can seek from an inspection standpoint.
Good advice on keeping the running log Keystone. I have it going now. I sent the engineer some more photos for him to consider along with his own. I also spoke to him on the phone. I believe he will be objective and honest. I hope to get the report in a couple of days. The workmanship or lack of is my main issue as it has contributed entirely to the problem. I will stay on track with this thought.

Buck:

The proper equipment to remove that foundation is not a backhoe but a track loader with a 4 in 1 bucket, the loader can open it's bucket and grab large sections, lift them up drop them in a dump truck. Some equipment operators own their own dump trucks, other small guys use common carrier dump trucks, either is fine. A good operator will probably line up a couple of dump trucks and have that foundation out of their in a couple of hours.

As I said above don't touch anything until this is settled, but you can start calling around to get prices from an owner/operator of a loader, he will arrange for the trucks. An excavator can also do the job a little faster but they are large and more expensive and usually only owned by larger companies.

Buck:

The proper equipment to remove that foundation is not a backhoe but a track loader with a 4 in 1 bucket, the loader can open it's bucket and grab large sections, lift them up drop them in a dump truck. Some equipment operators own their own dump trucks, other small guys use common carrier dump trucks, either is fine. A good operator will probably line up a couple of dump trucks and have that foundation out of their in a couple of hours.

As I said above don't touch anything until this is settled, but you can start calling around to get prices from an owner/operator of a loader, he will arrange for the trucks. An excavator can also do the job a little faster but they are large and more expensive and usually only owned by larger companies.
Many thanks for the good information. I will get things lined up for sure. Pretty excited about getting started. I won't make a move until all is settled. I think things will work out OK.
Thanks to all.

Ok buck

Need an update

Well....I got the official engineer report back which says, "At some locations it appeared the motar between the joints was sparse or barely sufficient, which is a concern. Though knowing during the concrete slab pour, concrete can be placed and should be placed between the brick and CMU block to form a solid bond, the concern is still noted. From the visual inspection it appeared the foundation is adequate, though lacking in some area to be corrected by the concrete pour."
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the foundation but the pour might correct it with no guarantees.
I got an exceptional deal when I purchased the lot. It was the only one available. The builder has offered to buy it from me (for what I paid) of course. We would like to keep our lot. There has been no resolution.

do you only have 3000 in??

Do you owe the guy any more money??
No CDA, I don't owe him....he has $2K of mine. He will not remove his foundation. He only wants to buy my lot and cheap.. Without a lawyer I'm near the end of the road. A lawyer is expensive. The builder has deep roots here. I'm not through yet but my options are running out. I do have another card to play.

So can you say to him you go your way and I will go mine??

Or the media always likes a good shoddy contractor story
Especially the tv investigative reporters

So can you say to him you go your way and I will go mine??

Or the media always likes a good shoddy contractor story
Especially the tv investigative reporters
Its not that easy. He would claim I owe him for all labor and materials, and has told me this. I'm not sure I want to end up in a court battle. The chips are stacked against me here.

Not a builder or anything

Was his work a seperate contract or part of the entire package??

Sometimes if you bother them enough they go away

Its not that easy. He would claim I owe him for all labor and materials, and has told me this. I'm not sure I want to end up in a court battle. The chips are stacked against me here.
Buck:

You've told us what your private engineer has said, what has your local building official said, has it passed inspection?

Thanks CDA:

Buck said:
I am sorry the photos will not load. I have them on Flckr and tried to copy the address without success. A building inspector did sign off on the foundation but I for some reason question it. I will keep trying on the photos. Thank you.

Buck:

Why not print out the pictures you posted here, take them into the building department and ask for the Chief Building Inspector, show him the pictures telling him you posted them here and we all think the workmanship is terrible?

Thanks CDA:

Buck:

Why not print out the pictures you posted here, take them into the building department and ask for the Chief Building Inspector, show him the pictures telling him you posted them here and we all think the workmanship is terrible?

Might be a one horse town??

In one of the threads;;;;

Building inspector and builder are close friends, maybe bowling buddies??

Buck, I agree with Conarb on this. If you own lot then move forward with seeking help. Find the food chain of inspector, mayor, county and state officials that deal with this, get your list together of contact information and itemize your thoughts to paper and send em out including the media.

Is there a contract between you two, if so what does it say?

Buck, I agree with Conarb on this. If you own lot then move forward with seeking help. Find the food chain of inspector, mayor, county and state officials that deal with this, get your list together of contact information and itemize your thoughts to paper and send em out including the media.

Is there a contract between you two, if so what does it say?

Keystone:

I would give the immediate superior a chance first before I go to the press, I'd go to the CBO first, if he doesn't exist or won't help then go to someone he knows in the city structure like the mayor, going to the press is nasty and only a last resort.