• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

brick and block foundation

We are looking at three different issues here:

1) code compliance.
2) structural engineering requirements.
and:
3) community workmanship standards.

His engineer is apparently saying it meets minimum code and structural requirements but doesn't meet minimum workmanship standards.

If he doesn't have a license board that provides an expert on minimum workmanship requirements perhaps retain your engineer to design a better foundation and negotiate the additional costs to remove and replace that foundation? I've seen similar construction in Mexico but not that bad. What gets me about this is coastal communities there are subject to hurricanes, I thought they had all increased their structural requirements to protect against hurricanes, Dade County Florida has very strict hurricane requirements.

This is from one of your responses.

Not sure if it is your observation or builders??

Just an update. It seems the footing wasn't poured level so the brick outer wall was shimmed to make it level. The bottom row of half bricks were cut to act as shims while the inner block wall followed the contour of the footing. The slab will be poured up to the top of the brick wall which is level, then both walls will support the load.
CDA...The quote was not word for word of what the builder said, but MY observation of what he told me. A comment he made specifically was, "Not all footings are even. They can go up and down. Sometimes you just have to hog it in." I took this to mean adjustments have to be made to irregular footings. That I'm fairly sure is true. The first wall they did was nice with brick laid length wise on CMU (see attached), but very soon after the 1/2 bricks took the place of the cmu on the bottom row.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN8HtmJsbFxtWH0LoRR0-hej4z3UTbEIJxKzJQB

We are looking at three different issues here:

1) code compliance.
2) structural engineering requirements.
and:
3) community workmanship standards.

His engineer is apparently saying it meets minimum code and structural requirements but doesn't meet minimum workmanship standards.

If he doesn't have a license board that provides an expert on minimum workmanship requirements perhaps retain your engineer to design a better foundation and negotiate the additional costs to remove and replace that foundation? I've seen similar construction in Mexico but not that bad. What gets me about this is coastal communities there are subject to hurricanes, I thought they had all increased their structural requirements to protect against hurricanes, Dade County Florida has very strict hurricane requirements.
I will check with the North Carolina contractor's license board in Raleigh to see if they provide an expert on minimum workmanship requirements. First though, I should meet with the builder on Monday. He may address my concerns very well. I want to be open to opinions and confident in the structure. My untrained instincts are telling me that the half bricks on end offer less lateral resistance to movement then a conventional installation. I don't know.

CDA...The quote was not word for word of what the builder said, but MY observation of what he told me. A comment he made specifically was, "Not all footings are even. They can go up and down. Sometimes you just have to hog it in." I took this to mean adjustments have to be made to irregular footings. That I'm fairly sure is true. The first wall they did was nice with brick laid length wise on CMU (see attached), but very soon after the 1/2 bricks took the place of the cmu on the bottom row.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN8HtmJsbFxtWH0LoRR0-hej4z3UTbEIJxKzJQB

Picture will not open

Not a concrete person, but I see them make adjustments for slope or whatever all the time and it looks very smooth.

Level when needed

So if I walk around the house I will see some walls with brick layed lengthwise on other walls with half brick??

Does not sound like good workmanship to me. In my opinion all sides should match.

Plus would include his words in the reason to redo

Do not open
Goes to google sign in page.

Not sure how you did your prior pictures???
Sorry my photos did not open. Here goes again. I made these videos last night. I was thinking....what is more stable to lateral forces...bricks laid flat or on end?? What if there is earth movement? Maybe this is why buildings are not built like mine.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28537053620/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28744812381/in/dateposted-public/

Love "field test"

Not a brick person

Only thing missing from your lab test is the mortar. Contractor will argue that with mortar either test will pass

How about video or pictures of a good bottom cord versus bad bottom chord at your house.

Love "field test"

Not a brick person

Only thing missing from your lab test is the mortar. Contractor will argue that with mortar either test will pass
Yes...there are those here who would argue that with motar, all is good ....but its not their house, they are not taking the risk, they won't be selling it in the future, and if a fix were ever necessary... it could break me.. IMO, start with a good proven, accepted design, then use mortar. It all started with the footing and went south from there. There was no oversite from the builder and his subs were hacks. Every day gets worse.

Reactions: cda
Here's a good one. The mortar cement abruptly changed colors on the front. I was told "dont worry about it....we'll just spray it with muratic acid." I went through all the used mortar bags and found codes for two different colors.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28798930586/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28215630583/in/dateposted-public/
While I do agree that
the 2 colors of mortar look rather strange there's nothing structurally wrong with them. The rest of your walls however raise an awful lot of questions. The cracks completely through the interior CMU with certainly be one of the major ones that would concern me.

Thank you for the comments on the mortar color and for all comments throughout this thread for that matter. I appreciate all comments and views.
Thanks again
Buck

Just invite us for the house warming party.
I just met with the builder. I tried to express my concerns. He said over 50% of his homes are built this way. I asked him to remove the foundation and restore my lot to how it was. He refused and stormed off and said, "I'm going to put a big fat lien on this property."
Many thanks to all on this forum for all the insight that you provided me.

Wonder what the other foundations look like??

Maybe if he talks to you again see if he will give you a list so you can compare??

I'm going to go against the grain here... Code is a minimum standard. He met the minimum, and a licensed engineer said it'll work. I'm writing PASS on my inspection ticket and moving on to the next one.

I agree it looks like $hit. And I'd be less-than-happy if I paid for it. But it'll hold up a house.

I'm going to go against the grain here... Code is a minimum standard. He met the minimum, and a licensed engineer said it'll work. I'm writing PASS on my inspection ticket and moving on to the next one.

I agree it looks like $hit. And I'd be less-than-happy if I paid for it. But it'll hold up a house.

Without being able to see a full set of plans,

What was posted did it meet those plans ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11316822@N06/28696680655/in/dateposted-public/

Plus the workmanship clause in the contract

I just met with the builder. I tried to express my concerns. He said over 50% of his homes are built this way. I asked him to remove the foundation and restore my lot to how it was. He refused and stormed off and said, "I'm going to put a big fat lien on this property."
Many thanks to all on this forum for all the insight that you provided me.

As I'm sure you know your next step is a construction attorney, not just any attorney, but any attorney can give you the name of a good construction attorney.

Have you paid him any money so far?

State laws are different, so talk to the attorney, but I wouldn't touch that work, don't go tearing it out and destroying the evidence, when he files the lien nothing happens unless you try to sell the property, if you do the lien will have to be removed by a "quiet title" action, after he files he's got a period of time to sue to perfect the lien or it expires on it's own, here that period is 90 days. If and when he does sue to perfect you can file a cross complaint against him for all the damages you have suffered, but in breach of contract actions punitive and tort damages like emotional distress are generally not available remedies. Contracts are meant to be broken and cases like this are the reason, the law wants people to be able to get our of bad contracts so there are no punishment damages, good attorneys can get creative with consequential damages though.

Yes you're right. The code is a minimum standard. What a mess.

As I'm sure you know your next step is a construction attorney, not just any attorney, but any attorney can give you the name of a good construction attorney.

Have you paid him any money so far?

State laws are different, so talk to the attorney, but I wouldn't touch that work, don't go tearing it out and destroying the evidence, when he files the lien nothing happens unless you try to sell the property, if you do the lien will have to be removed by a "quiet title" action, after he files he's got a period of time to sue to perfect the lien or it expires on it's own, here that period is 90 days. If and when he does sue to perfect you can file a cross complaint against him for all the damages you have suffered, but in breach of contract actions punitive and tort damages like emotional distress are generally not available remedies. Contracts are meant to be broken and cases like this are the reason, the law wants people to be able to get our of bad contracts so there are no punishment damages, good attorneys can get creative with consequential damages though.
Got about $3K into the builder and $5200 in lot prep. I don't want this to get legal. I got a text from him. He wants a couple days to get his head clear....I said OK. It would be good to work it out. Just in case, I found a construction attorney but better to try and resolve it.

When I ran jobs the office would give contracts to some sketchy subs. Now and then I would ask the office to buy out a rotten sub and get a new sub. It makes sense when you factor in the lousy outcome otherwise.

Better to lose $3,000.00 and get a decent building.