• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

List of Members going to Denver

Sorry I will have to miss the party! Due to some tax issues and my youngest in college I just don't think I should blow the money. Besides I have just taken on some new work that will have me real busy over the next month. If it works out maybe longer.

JP give out cards to who ever you come in contact with.

That being said let me address a few things! First this BB will continue and should grow in time. This has been stated before by me, and, Jeff and I talk often. We both feel the same. UB is right Jeff is footing the bill and he knows I am hear if it becomes a problem. Which I believe it will not be one. If Jeff decides at anytime he wants out, between Jeff and myself, we will make sure that this remains an open forum without any agenda other then a place to exchange ideas,code issues and create a refuges for people seeking answers to code questions.

Jeff can pipe in at anytime! We both feel the same and we want and need the interaction with other code people, including, but not limited to DP's and engineers etc. If I were to guess, at least a 100 time I have post a ? regarding something I perhaps knew the answer to on the old and new BB. The response was almost always correct answers or new information. People willing to help or show direction or perhaps a fresh vantage point. WOW! That is America at its finest. This little piece of cyber world is undoubtedly terrific. Besides some of you have become friends others have become a face to a screen name. Each has improved my life and ability to do my job better. I have no reason to say these things other then it is the truth. There is no finical gain, so no spin is needed we have a great group and ICC is watching something they lost so in one aspect we threaten them.

Several months back I posted on ICC site for Dominic to come on an discuss some of the issues. No response or acknowledgement. Maybe no brass! (or) Because it would be an environment not in their control. The script here is in constant flux! Facts talk and BS walks!

My gut feeling is that the meeting with ICC will produce nothing. They blew smoke in Baltimore and I see nothing that has changed. The back bone of this group is a thorn under the saddle. They turned the lights out in an attempt to silence the critical discussions regarding the ICC group and surrounding elements on thier own BB. There are a few things all should understand and if you go as a group need to be on common ground.

First, ICC is facing declining importance. Money and budgets are tight. They sell tests and books. The demand just isn't there. The last code hearing I view the hall was empty most of the time. In Baltimore and Twin City other then the sprinkler vote the place at times was a ghost town. Sometimes as few a s 40 or 50 people in the room voting on things that affect the hole country. In Baltimore the hearing was shut down for fire code violation. Is this a joke! Who is in charge. Next, there was no provision for compliance with ADA. What are we selling just a bunch of crap. Is this a professional out fit I want to identify with? I think not!

SO I will get off the box! Its late and I have a lot more to say, maybe I will have time tomorrow.

I may have been invited, but I deleted all of the ICC emails without reading them.

Doesn't matter anyway because I just realized my state law enforcement final exam is on September 11th so I will be studying for that.

Y'all have fun and drink a few longnecks for me.

(and give peach a hug for me, too).

One of the best posts I've seen on this forum, along with the one by North Star a few posts above.

RJJ said:
Sorry I will have to miss the party! Due to some tax issues and my youngest in college I just don't think I should blow the money. Besides I have just taken on some new work that will have me real busy over the next month. If it works out maybe longer.JP give out cards to who ever you come in contact with.

That being said let me address a few things! First this BB will continue and should grow in time. This has been stated before by me, and, Jeff and I talk often. We both feel the same. UB is right Jeff is footing the bill and he knows I am hear if it becomes a problem. Which I believe it will not be one. If Jeff decides at anytime he wants out, between Jeff and myself, we will make sure that this remains an open forum without any agenda other then a place to exchange ideas,code issues and create a refuges for people seeking answers to code questions.

Jeff can pipe in at anytime! We both feel the same and we want and need the interaction with other code people, including, but not limited to DP's and engineers etc. If I were to guess, at least a 100 time I have post a ? regarding something I perhaps knew the answer to on the old and new BB. The response was almost always correct answers or new information. People willing to help or show direction or perhaps a fresh vantage point. WOW! That is America at its finest. This little piece of cyber world is undoubtedly terrific. Besides some of you have become friends others have become a face to a screen name. Each has improved my life and ability to do my job better. I have no reason to say these things other then it is the truth. There is no finical gain, so no spin is needed we have a great group and ICC is watching something they lost so in one aspect we threaten them.

Several months back I posted on ICC site for Dominic to come on an discuss some of the issues. No response or acknowledgement. Maybe no brass! (or) Because it would be an environment not in their control. The script here is in constant flux! Facts talk and BS walks!

My gut feeling is that the meeting with ICC will produce nothing. They blew smoke in Baltimore and I see nothing that has changed. The back bone of this group is a thorn under the saddle. They turned the lights out in an attempt to silence the critical discussions regarding the ICC group and surrounding elements on thier own BB. There are a few things all should understand and if you go as a group need to be on common ground.

First, ICC is facing declining importance. Money and budgets are tight. They sell tests and books. The demand just isn't there. The last code hearing I view the hall was empty most of the time. In Baltimore and Twin City other then the sprinkler vote the place at times was a ghost town. Sometimes as few a s 40 or 50 people in the room voting on things that affect the hole country. In Baltimore the hearing was shut down for fire code violation. Is this a joke! Who is in charge. Next, there was no provision for compliance with ADA. What are we selling just a bunch of crap. Is this a professional out fit I want to identify with? I think not!

SO I will get off the box! Its late and I have a lot more to say, maybe I will have time tomorrow.

I was invited, but due to personnel constraints and absences, I am unable to attend. But like the others, I won't stop using this forum just because the ICC gets their act together.

Well, just got an email from Valerie at ICC, the "event" is full, so I'm outa luck. Oh well, will still meet up with y'all Wednesday for sure, take it from there.

Thanks for trying to get me in JP and UB!

I just got a phone call wondering if I had booked my flight yet and was I coming wed. afternoon or thurs. morning?????

Um lady. Yall didn't invite me yet so why would I go to the trouble of booking a flight???

Can you still come sir???

I guess. Can you send me some information on what I need to do????

It was all in the e-mail and phone call last week.

Lady...I didn't get a phone call or an e-mail....

Oh. Can you book a flight today or tomorrow?

I guess I will try.

Glad to know that at some level there is still incompetence at the old cash cow. Assuming that I can get a flight that is not a million dollars I will be there on wed. night. I wonder if peach plays poker. She will probably take all our money and drink all of JP's beer.

Also looking forward to meeting all of you folks. Hell I work about twenty minutes from Frank C. and less than an hour from Francis V. and Skip Harper and others and yet I have not connected with any of them. Should be fun. Let's get the ICC reps drunk. Anyone??

Daddy-O,

When you spoke to ICC; did you confirm that you would be there? If not they might assign your room to someone else.

Don't worry about JP drinking more than 5 beers; I'm picking up a pint of Ever Clear to insure he doesn't drink more than two. ;)

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't sell the icc dudes short. I have seen them put down more than a few. Last time I saw Mr. Shapiro he was hitting on... and more than 3 sheets to the wind. Been to a lot of seminars and downed quite a few long necks with instructors and a few shots afterwards. Most if not all are pretty good people. Been invited to prayer meetings as well. Never under estimate. We are not talking about an enemey here or adveresary. Perhaps misguided. Perhaps even a bit stupid at times but nothing I haven't been guilty of myself.

So, let us all keep our whits about us and enjoy the moment.

Daddy-O,

Did you read the part about needing a credit card?

"When checking in, the hotel requires that you provide them with a personal credit card. The room rate for the first two nights will not be charged to your credit card; however, it protects the hotel in case of damages to the room and covers any personal charges you may incur, above the cost of the room. "

I cut up my credit cards when I retired. They always ask me for two hundred cash; to hold.

Never have that problem at the Motel 6. :cool:

Uncle Bob

I play poker... I don't know enough about it to bluff successfully, so I sometimes end up doing pretty well.

ante,,, call.. hold.. fold.. don't understand any of it... don't know which is a better hand.. a full house or a straight flush (or exactly what a straight flush is).. which makes having a poker face pretty easy.

Enginerd,

Welcome to the forum and the Denver meeting. We are starting to see some folks who I don't remember being on the old ICC BB; going to the meeting. Do you know anyone else that is not a regular on this forum that is going?

How did you find our forum?

Uncle Bob

I dont know any of you, but I look for answers on this site.

I found this site about last year from a post on the new ICC BB

Im confirmed to attend in Denver.

AJ,

That's great. I used to work next door to Austin; in a community that proudly boasts a bumper sticker "Between a Rock and a Wierd Place" (meaning between Round Rock and Austin).

Glad you found us and hope you will stay. A thick skin is all that's required here.

See you in Denver,

Uncle Bob

ajweaver said:
I dont know any of you, but I look for answers on this site.I found this site about last year from a post on the new ICC BB

Im confirmed to attend in Denver.
AJ,

I'm with you. I often consulted the old BB for advice, and often found what I needed with out having to post a question. I filled out the ICC survey they sent, and followed up with a 'yes' when they asked if I would be interested in attending the meeting in Denver.

My main role is a structural engineer, but I have defaulted to become the office's "code guy". I also perform structural plan reviews for one of our clients, and building and accessibility reviews and inspections for others.

I was doing a lot more code stuff a few years back. Then ny focus switched to engineering. Now I find I am getting back into the code word more asthe economy continues to do it's dance.

I also found this site from the old BB. I honestly hadn't come to the new BB for help yet. I didn't even know they had changed it. Since then, I have tried to navigate and post items. Don't worry, I have a lot of feedback.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone next week. It seems like they have a good mix of hardcore BB followers and those that hang in the background and soak it all in. It is refreshing to see that ICC welcomes the opinions of each group and has each type represented next week.

I've been too busy with buying a house/moving/starting school (again) to pay much attention to any of this, or to spend time contributing here as much as I'd like to. I got the survey request, but didn't bother with it. In any case, let me know the where/when and I'd love to come meet some of you while you're here in Denver!