• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WELCOME NEW Members!

Glenn (AKA CSL), welcome back! We still occasionally have fun beating dead horses such as bedrooms, unrequired stairs, and the other usual suspects.

Glenn said:
Ha, ha! that is hilarious. Oh boy...memories. Did anyone ever come up with a definition for a bedroom? ha, ha! We never could figure one out in my jurisdiction.Thank you for the smile this morning, Francis...I don't think I've every been called distinguished. Yes, you are likely thinking of me...decks are my code specialty. I recently wrote an article in the ICC Building Safety Journal that I am really proud of, but I also regularly write for the Professional Deck Builder where I try to connect our nation's deck contractors with the code. I've also written for Fine Homebuilding and the JLC. Yes, I am in the Denver area.

I had the pleasure of publishing a book with ICC as well, Deck Construction Based on the 2009 IRC. You can learn more about it at DECKCODES.COM | SaferDecks

Most recently, I have been working to transform all my live seminars into online education. That project grew into opening a full online school, Building Code College | Online code education for construction professionals. I just received approval from ICC as an Approved Education Provider Partner and can issue CEU's to members for approved courses. (listing at iccsafe.org should be up today) At this time, I just opened with the first of four courses that make up the Building Codes for Building Deck series. The second should be open by Dec, followed by the last two early next year. I am working with other instructors to grow the course availability in the future. I'll be posting a thread in the education forum soon to provide more details. It will take time...I still work part time administering codes for a local government.

I'm also working to create a suite of mobile applications. The combustion air calculator (Combustulator) will be in Google Play by the end of the year. It's a cool little app for inspectors and installers...you'll like it. Screenshots and more details will be up at the promotional website soon, CodeCalculators.comSorry for the shameless self-promotion...but you gave such a great segue to it, Francis.

Thanks for the other warm welcomes. I remember some of those names as well. Glad to be back.
Have you considered working as a spammer?

Ha, ha! Zing... Nice one...cold as...uh, well..."ICE"

I prefer to look at it as product placement. Besides, spam is shameful...I said I was being shameless. Ha, ha! On a serious note, I've worked very hard for many years on those projects, so them is sharing what makes up me. Isn't that what this thread is about...learning about the new members.

As for my user name...well...CSL was the younger and more naive me, back when I was insecure about my professional opinions. Now, I'm good with just being me. Thanks for the nostalgic suggestion. I think you will come to know me as Glenn in time. Maybe CSL can show up in my signature, when I get that done.

I guess I can't edit my horrible typos above. "so (sharing) them is sharing what makes up me."

I guess I better pay the piper...my guess is editing is a privileged feature. I'm quick to learn.

Welcome to be fully aboard!

See you in a couple weeks at the Code Change Committee meeting?

fatboy said:
Welcome to be fully aboard! See you in a couple weeks at the Code Change Committee meeting?
I'll be there! You'll have to introduce yourself, Clark Kent, as I only know you as Superman from northern Colorado right now.

ICE said:
You need to buy a corporate sponsorship.
But in the other thread you want me to be a non-profit? :D

I just joined this Forum TODAY at the recommendation of a local Assistant Fire Chief. I am in Fire Code Enforcement and am hoping to get TONS of usefull information from this Forum to help me in my everyday job. I have been in Fire Code Enforcement for several years, but feel like my knowledge is limited. I am located in Ohio. Can't wait to learn lots of new info as well as to have a group like this to bounce things off of.

Welcome aboard! Yes, there is a wealth of information already spoken to in this forum, and if it hasn't been beat to death yet, feel free to start a new topic!

Hello all! I Just joined yesterday at the recommendation of the IDigHardware blog. I was a bit hesitant about reviving this thread from the afterlife, but it looks like somebody beat me to it by a few hours.

I work for an architectural firm in Albuquerque NM that does a lot of work with tribal entities. As such, code review and enforcement is often a very tricky business. Some times there is no AHJ to speak of, and other times we do have an AHJ but getting clarification from them is worse than pulling teeth.

I started my professional career in California doing swimming pools which is where I got started dealing with health codes. Now I work on a wide variety of project types and I believe I have a pretty thorough understanding of commercial life safety matters. I was also recently certified as an accessibility plans examiner through ICC testing. Where my expertise lacks, however, is in the non-architectural disciplines and residential construction. I hope that by following the forums I can continue my education on structural, electrical, plumbing, and residential code requirements.

Best Regards,

Logan

lpiburn,

Welcome to the Building Code Forum!

This forum is THE BEST in the internet! Start asking your questions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome lpiburn!

You can revive an old thread anytime, we will beat them to death just like we do anything else.

Jump on in, the water is fine!

Hello Everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm self taught and do not have someone in the office to show me the ropes. I tend to read into the codes and start questioning if I'm correct. Hope I can get guidance from all of you.

dontknowcodes,

I know from experience that one can learn a lot from the folks here. It won't be long before you will have to change your pseudonym.