• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Looks ugly but it's through an overhang and there's no getting the shingles apart.

50124485152_cefa34a249_z.jpg

They called for the final and left this undone. I suppose they plan on making a mess and thought I would turn a blind eye.

50124485212_278e2f7c4a_b.jpg

Pool contractor placed an aluminum pole for a mesh fence too close to the water. About 20 times. So he installed lugs and a solid #8 wire. The contractor was told to consult with the inspector prior to doing anything. He didn't do that. I haven't seen a closeup view, but I suspect that the lugs are not listed for outdoor use and most likely do not mate up with the pole. Oh well, it's not my job to inspect so I won't be dealing with the contractor.

50124710052_5f29d1b989_k.jpg

Last edited:
You know how some jobs seem familiar....... I think I might have seen this before.

50123913288_9ada24bc92_k.jpg

This is on the same panel:

50123916683_e17d8594f9_k.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying the world of virtual inspections. The job is solar and a service upgrade. They send good pictures.

I was curious about the individual wires making it into the panel and the three KO plugs caught my attention.

50141753486_abc68b6477_b.jpg

50141810816_72888e139f_c.jpg

50141214323_1e14179bb9_b.jpg

Last edited:
The plan is to convert this panel from a main panel to a sub-panel, hence the conduit with the fat wire to the 100 amp back-fed breakers. The contractor can't seem to understand why the inspector turned it down. His lament that it is existing and therefor off limits speaks volumes about the contractor.

50164393507_21e6fcfe7a_b.jpg

This so looks wrong yet they do it anyway.

This is another bad habit. The attachment plug has been removed from the cord for the condensate pump. The cord enters the furnace via a cable connector and gets power from inside the furnace.

Of course I got the, "We have never been written up for this before." The company is large....large enough that I have written the same corrections dozens of times. Many dozens.

The plan is to convert this panel from a main panel to a sub-panel, hence the conduit with the fat wire to the 100 amp back-fed breakers. The contractor can't seem to understand why the inspector turned it down. His lament that it is existing and therefor off limits speaks volumes about the contractor.

View attachment 6813

How can a panel with a permanently bonded neutral be converted to a subpanel? That is a question to be asked, plus the corrosion means a no go to me.

The owner took out a permit. The lady that lives there sent me a few pictures of the work that was done by a friend of theirs. Right away I knew that the friend does mostly commercial work. I have not seen much of the work yet but I expect it to be tidy....and well...commercial not residential.

View attachment 6755

The concrete looks new, plus it looks like they poured it directly against the siding. The EMT looks much better then the armored ground normally used.

Is it actually wrong, or does it just look wrong?

Condensate pump ... do you require a shut down float switch in case the pump fails?

Is it actually wrong, or does it just look wrong?

Condensate pump ... do you require a shut down float switch in case the pump fails?

It’s single wall vent stuffed into double wall vent and secured with screws.

The secondary condensate drain has a float switch.

The secondary condensate drain has a float switch.
The float switch will turn on the pump when condensate fill the reservoir. My question was ... if the pump fails is there anything to shut down the system? Or maybe I’m not clear on your answer.

2018 IMC
307.3 Condensate pumps.
Condensate pumps located in uninhabitable spaces, such as attics and crawl spaces, shall be connected to the appliance or equipment served such that when the pump fails, the appliance or equipment will be prevented from operating. Pumps shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions.

Had they measured to the correct point there would be just under or over 60". But I don't measure from the wall so they lose six inches.

Had they measured to the correct point there would be just under or over 60". But I don't measure from the wall so they lose six inches.
“Yes ma’am we have the lowest prices in town for solar systems, but the change orders are going to be whoppers”.

Isn't the meter box considered an outlet?

2014 NEC 680.22 (D) other outlets shall not be less then 10' from the inside walls of the pool

An outlet is where electricity will be “utilized” such as a receptacle or a light. The service has switching devices.

For those that want the details....here's one worth noting: When measuring to the pool, it is not to the edge of the coping. The measurement it taken from the inside wall of the pool.

(C) Switching Devices. Switching devices shall be located at least (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within (5 ft) shall be permitted.

Just wondering if the meter socket isn't much different than a light bulb socket. Doesn't a electrical meter use electricity to work?

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Utilization equipment uses power to perform work. Does a meter do that?

Actually there’s a definition that I’ll post tomorrow. .

Last edited: