• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I just ordered the book from Amazon.
The number of stories about people answering the door naked is hilarious. Im still waiting on my first, although I was inspecting a lingerie store and the owner showed me around in her bra. So that was cool.

Is it just me or does it look like there's something wrong here?
The second photo shows a missing set screw on an EMT connector, I believe, which would be wrong.

But the first photo shows a squeeze connector on MC cable (or is it FMC or something else?), so I don't see the problem. There is a hole that could take a setscrew, which I don't believe a squeeze connector typically uses, so maybe that connector is some sort of combo EMT/MC connector, and you only use the setscrew when using it with EMT? That's total speculation, not sure if that product exists.

Cheers, Wayne

What about the jagged metal? It appears that it is torn apart.
That's just the way a squeeze connector is made and used.

The squeeze connector has a full ring portion (at the top of the picture) that connects to the box, and a split ring portion used as a clamp on the cable armor. They are connected by a thick post that is on the backside of the photo and not visible. They are also connected, just for manufacturing purposes, by the thin portion now showing as cracked in the photo. That thin portion is expected to fail when you tighten the clamp on the cable armor, to allow the split ring portion to because a smaller diameter and do the clamping.

Cheers, Wayne

The number of stories about people answering the door naked is hilarious. Im still waiting on my first, although I was inspecting a lingerie store and the owner showed me around in her bra. So that was cool.
Once had the door answered by a man wearing dreadlocks and beads in his beard.

That was all he was wearing.

The call was to look at a tub he installed in his bedroom. Quickest inspection ever.

I want some of what he is smoking.
He/She is probably a half-way decent inspector. I mean, at least this is proof that they can read a set of plans and determine if the corresponding construction matches. That's probably better than a fair share of folks currently holding down building inspections.

But what this does likely prove is that decent inspection skills cannot make up for a lack of knowledge. The corrections demonstrate a clear lack of background and understanding in the disciplines for which they are inspecting.

Not sure about #2, but buddy should be smart enough to recognize that a 2x6 is a titch stronger than a 2x4. Unless it was engineered (and even then), wtf?

If this dude is an electrical inspector, buddy should know the ampacity of a #8 is more betterer than #10. Egad.
Basically, the same concept for #2. Other than the EMT being rigid, the Liquid Tight FMC is a generally superior product.
EMT​
Liquid Tight (FMC)​
1689635082597.png
1689635185629.png

The inspector is on an extended power trip. He wants to demonstrate that he knows how to read a set of PV plans. He is willing to waste everyone's time with a stupid request. Asking a contractor to remove #8 wire and replace it with #10 is proof enough that he is an menace. The final will be held up for weeks while the revised plans make it through the system and then he will be back at the site hoping for another violation.

20210121_100824.jpg