• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Mr. ICE,
I have a solar project that's using that same Pegasus comp roof flashing and the documents the solar company provided me does not show the flashing under a shingle like plumbing pipe flashing's. No word of mastic being used. Didn't see a manufactures installation recommendation either way.

Are you seeing the flashing both ways and okay with it?

Looks slick. My main concern is whether the uplift capacity is adequate if it doesn't fall over a rafter or truss.
They might find out if they missed a framing member and then again, maybe not. If a few miss it shouldn't be that big of a deal. At least around here. Go where the wind howls and it becomes an issue.

I get a kick out of it when they insulate the T&P drain pipe....all the way to the pan. And then there's the use of flex connectors. No permits....I was there for jumper from cold to hot to gas as part of a service upgrade.

IMG_3998.jpeg

IMG_3998 2.jpeg

There’s a STOP sign on the water heater that says “Do not return this water heater to the place of purchase.”. I guess it happened one too many times.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to comment on items other than the jumper? And can the yellow flex pipe be inside the wall?

Assuming the T & P pipe is copper, insulating it is not that bad of an idea. Heat is not just lost when water flows through the pipe. The copper pipe is essentially a heat sink because it is such a good conductor.

Now, why they did not insulate the inlet and outlet piping...That's a good question...

Are you allowed to comment on items other than the jumper?

A while back I had a final inspection that was associated with an ADU. It was so completely messed up that I wrote this correction:

Your company has a history of unusual and egregious errors with the electrical trade. You strain the abilities of inspectors. Do the electrical work over with different personnel. Understand that I stopped the inspection of the electrical because it is so completely wrong that it shall be done over.

The contractor complained. An office assistant manager became upset...I want to say very upset but I don't use the word very. He said that I was completely unprofessional...had no right to "insult" the electrician.

The job consisted of a rewire of the dwelling, an ADU, a main service panel and three sub-panels. Much of the job was done with white wire.....because the electrician is a commercial guy and he had wire left over from another job. This was about the tenth messed up job that I had with this contractor.

I was banned from inspecting their work. This happened on June 10, 2020 and the job has still not passed a final inspection. I am pleased as punch that I won't have to put up with the crap work anymore.

Last edited:
Your company has a history of unusual and egregious errors with the electrical trade. You strain the abilities of inspectors. Do the electrical work over with different personnel. Understand that I stopped the inspection of the electrical because it is so completely wrong that it shall be done over.
Speaking from painful personal experience, usually adding just one more sentence to an email to make a point, that was probably not the best statement to write.

Speaking from painful personal experience, usually adding just one more sentence to an email to make a point, that was probably not the best statement to write.
Sometimes I just can't help myself.....and trust me on this... what I wrote was mild by comparison ....the difference was that it was in writing.

The same contractor had a a different ADU inspected by a different inspector today. No hand rail on the stairs, which is the same correction that I gave them three months ago and there is a 1R panel on the exterior of the building. The best statement to make would be to the State Contractors License Board.

Last edited:
This is serving an attached garage that was converted to an ADU. I was asked to perform a final inspection about a month ago. When I asked to see the circuit breakers for the ADU that I assumed were in the main panel I was shown a pair of 50 amp breakers that were old and labeled "garage". Today was another attempt at a final inspection. Apparently there has been a sub-panel installed somewhere that serves the ADU.

I asked for a load calculation and a new sub-panel. ... for starters.

IMG_20200914_123513 2.jpeg

I don’t know what I’m talking about ... I see 6 whites going out the top, 6 whites on the bus above the breakers, and 9 blacks on the bottom of the breakers. 3 blacks on the 15 amp.

With the spray texture all over the panel interior, any inspector is well within their rights to require replacement of it,110.11, not the only thing wrong either.

The void under the flashing must be filled. If not, debris can collect which would hold water. Besides that, the flashing installation instructions require that.

Something for California inspectors to remember is that state law took away our right to ask for more than one inspection. That came with a few rules for the contractor. One of which is that they are required to provide sufficient pictures or a video of the installation as it comes together. Now had we still been able to perform an in-progress inspection the voids under the flashing would not be there. Now all of the modules have to come off.

IMG_200915093603979.jpeg