• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

That is about as ugly as I've ever seen a cut valley. The Gable fascia board should be about an inch short of landing on the shingle with some wall to roof flashing behind it.

shindles 2.jpg

That is about as ugly as I've ever seen a cut valley. The Gable fascia board should be about an inch short of landing on the shingle with some wall to roof flashing behind it.

View attachment 9950
That’s not fascia, that’s aluminum cladding. Surely you’re not doubting that Bubba has a gap under the fascia board.

It looks like a closed cut valley done bass-ackwards.

iu

It looks like a closed cut valley done bass-ackwards.
It's hard to be 100% sure what is happening in the photo, but I find the photo consistent with the idea that the install matches your diagram, except the trimming of the shingles on the right hand plane is very rough (or else covered with a line of roofing cement), and an inch or two back from the valley center line.

Cheers, Wayne

It actually can work if you get enough nails in it, probably a dozen or so on each side. I scabbed extension rafters to the original when I raised the roof and finished a bedroom in the attic of our former house. I calculated the number of nails necessary to transfer the bending stress. It held up for the 25 years we were in the house and through several snows.

It actually can work if you get enough nails in it, probably a dozen or so on each side. I scabbed extension rafters to the original when I raised the roof and finished a bedroom in the attic of our former house. I calculated the number of nails necessary to transfer the bending stress. It held up for the 25 years we were in the house and through several snows.
No question it can work. You're a professional who knew how to make it work.

Whole lot of people out here just trying things out and hoping they get lucky.

A lot of things will work until they fail!

You don't hear about the inspector until the news crew shows up and sez: "The last time it had an inspection was ???"

It actually can work if you get enough nails in it, probably a dozen or so on each side.
I have approved many a scab.....picked on a few too..... there is a minimum of 4' on each side of the break for a total of eight feet and plenty of nails. That has always been for a repair or one questionable rafter but I wouldn't aprove that in new construction without an engineered, stamped detail.

Last edited:
I have approved many a scab.....picked on a few too..... there is a minimum of 4' on each side of the break for a total of eight feet and plenty of nails. That has always been for a repair or one questionable rafter but I wouldn't aprove that in new construction without an engineered, stamped detail.
IIRC, the solution was a "dwarf wall" to support the splices. That's an acceptable solution in Canadian Codes.

The job is a replacement furnace in a garage. Gas fired. The cord is between the furnace and a wall. The space is about 1.5" wide. I couldn't get an eyeball on it. I did get pictures however, I couldn't see what happened until I got the pictures into the computer. The contractor reused the old cord.

Furnaces are not listed with a cord and attachment plug. Long ago LA County allowed the cords as long as they were 12AWG or better. I was able to see the reversed fitting where the cord enters the furnace but not the damaged section of cord. I wrote a correction to replace the cord with a 12AWG cord.

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4368.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

Did my first walk thru of a hoarding house - it was really sad - unfortunately we've been trying to get it condemned. The homeowner had some roof repairs done w/o our permission/permit so we went to inspect it - I'm not sure what is going on here. They left the rotted beams in place scabbed on some 2x4s to the questionable roof structure that had water damage from years of neglect. The roofing contractor won't return our calls.

PXL_20230125_201203463.jpg