• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

It had to be difficult to install the cabinet with hardly enough room to fit it in the hole. Somebody knew what was happening but then someone else dropped the ball. Makes me wonder if it was purposeful.

IMG_4238.JPG

Last edited:
This picture was sent to my phone by another inspector. The gutter is mounted over a hole in the stucco. The work was performed by a solar contractor.

Resized_20220927_124329.jpeg

Resized_20220927_124329 2.jpeg

Resized_20220927_124329 3.jpeg

Resized_20220927_124329 4.jpeg

Last edited:
You can't reidentify a white conductor in a conduit as a ungrounded conductor, that is only allowed as part of a cable assembly such as NM, MC, nor can someone remove the sheathing of NM cable & use the indiv. conductors, since they are not marked, one can guess they are THHN conductors, but cannot prove they are.

The king and trimmer studs along with the sill have been removed to make room for a service panel.

Resized_20220926_120738.jpeg

Resized_20220926_120910.jpeg

The cut edge of the drywall is visible. As ridiculous as this is, what could they have possibly had in mind for keeping water out of the cavity?

Resized_20220926_120910 2.jpeg

A lot of rocks under, around and over the piping, no good. I see tape over the openings, do you require a pressure test on pool piping as required in the ISPSC?
The pipes that have tape originate in this device. I don't know what it does. It is not part of the pressurized system. While the process pipe is always under pressure at the pre-gunite inspection, we do not inspect it as it is not associated with a potable water system. CPC prohibits pressurizing plastic pipe with air.

IMG_4167.JPG

Last edited:
Seems worth sharing - this came from the fire marshal. Appears to be a flexible duct from an outdoor wood burning stove to a box over the resident's chair.

box.jpg

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter....4/0 wire is 5/8"....5/8" x 8 x2 = 10" diameter circle.
The above section is in Part II of Article 300, and Part II only applies to conductors over 1000 volts. The NEC has no numerical requirement on bending radius of individual conductors under 1000V. Article 314 does have a requirement on the bending space to leave at terminations in cabinets.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: ICE
The above section is in Part II of Article 300, and Part II only applies to conductors over 1000 volts. The NEC has no numerical requirement on bending radius of individual conductors under 1000V. Article 314 does have a requirement on the bending space to leave at terminations in cabinets.

Cheers, Wayne
You are correct.

With that panel design and a large number of cables entering it, there is no other way except a large Romex® connector to bring them in
This connector will let you bring (6) typical NM cables into a single 3/4" KO. Given the extra width, you might only be able to use a single row of KOs on the top the cabinet:

Also, per this chart, Arlington NM844 will let you bring (10) 12/2 cables into a 1-1/4" KO.

Cheers, Wayne

This connector will let you bring (6) typical NM cables into a single 3/4" KO. Given the extra width, you might only be able to use a single row of KOs on the top the cabinet:

Also, per this chart, Arlington NM844 will let you bring (10) 12/2 cables into a 1-1/4" KO.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne,
Is there a listing associated with the NM844? If the answer is yes I would suppose that the (10)12/ 2 would be legal. If there is no listing it is up to the inspector. That type of fitting is prone to loose cables.....The cable is not secured well. Toss in one round cable and it goes away....include a 10/3 and where are you on the chart? It is plastic.....The smarter electricians use metal fittings....

clamp.JPG

If I may ask, how long has it taken you to get through the Average Day thread?

Last edited:
Is there a listing associated with the NM844?
Well, all I can easily say is that the Arlington catalog page shows the UL listed symbol next to the product:

It is plastic.....The smarter electricians use metal fittings....
Do you know of a metal, listed fitting that would let you bring 10 NM cables through a single KO?

If I may ask, how long has it taken you to get through the Average Day thread?
I think I started over a week ago, reading it on and off. I skimmed a lot of the text, mostly focusing on the train wreck pictures.

Cheers, Wayne

Well, all I can easily say is that the Arlington catalog page shows the UL listed symbol next to the product:

Do you know of a metal, listed fitting that would let you bring 10 NM cables through a single KO?

I think I started over a week ago, reading it on and off. I skimmed a lot of the text, mostly focusing on the train wreck pictures.

Cheers, Wayne
That is one thing about this thread, a LOT of train wrecks.

There's a couple of similar threads...smaller.... The pictures start out polluted with a water mark.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

"Do you know of a metal, listed fitting that would let you bring 10 NM cables through a single KO?"
No. To be honest, I really don't know a whole lot about electrical stuff like fittings etc. And more....When you brought up the mistake that I made with wire bending radius I went looking for a code that would help and found none. So there I was again, shooting from the hip. Oh well I had the right idea.

Last edited:
I have been writing a story that includes the solar industry. Part of that is the habit of installing solar where it doesn't belong. At noon yesterday I came across this. It faces Southwest.

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

All of the codes and standards in the world cannot anticipate the stupid human element.