• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Average day 5-15-13

TheCommish said:
with the washing machine in the way
And outdoors. The owner said that he would cover the washer and dryer with a tarp when it's raining.

It is one of the nicer illegal patio covers that I've come across.

10450907376_857a6fb08e_o.jpg

Last edited:
The metal barn is new. The contractor claims that the obvious flaw is an optical illusion. I said that the owner is probably not going to feel any better about it knowing that it's all in his own mind.

10484074236_7311f21ca8_o.jpg

Last edited:
10565596704_3430a06199_o.jpg

Look at the rafter in his hand. The roof changed pitch and he is lost. There is a couple pallets of roof tile in the front yard.

10565815363_7884dd28ba_o.jpg

10565546246_04d7279f7f_o.jpg

It is held up by the ridge....nothing else

Last edited:
It's a commercial building. There will be a post supporting a center beam of a flat roof. I was there for a slab inspection. The engineer blessed the work during a structural observation. The contractor was there for my inspection. I said "Oh my gosh, that looks weak" The contractor didn't hesitate and said "Oh my gosh, your right"

10565887364_4b9a1c13dd_o.jpg

Last edited:
ICE said:
Look at the rafter in his hand. The roof changed pitch and he is lost. There is a couple pallets of roof tile in the front yard.

It is held up by the ridge....nothing else
He was lost after his first cup of coffee, waaay before the pitch change.

Needs to get his head out of the clouds.

Brent

Oh, I see. ICE sent me a PM telling me that was a picture of Brent on the roof. Hmmmmm

I said no way! That cannot be Brent. Bent does not wear shorts when framing

ICE said:
It's a commercial building. There will be a post supporting a center beam of a flat roof. I was there for a slab inspection. The engineer blessed the work during a structural observation. The contractor was there for my inspection. I said "Oh my gosh, that looks weak" The contractor didn't hesitate and said "Oh my gosh, your right"
The evaluation report (ICC ESR or IAPMO ER) for post bases often times specify a minimum concrete cover. What do the engineered plans show?

Phil said:
The evaluation report (ICC ESR or IAPMO ER) for post bases often times specify a minimum concrete cover. What do the engineered plans show?
The plans show the same post base turned 90 degrees. I don't think that would be an improvement. The entire anchor is in the concrete stem which could easily be snapped off. Simpson allows some radically small edge distances but probably not on both sides. I didn't bother to look at that since the issue is the stem. Not to mention that an inspector approved it and the engineer did too.

They are going to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are going to store anything more than what's normally found in the atmosphere, there might be a problem.

10648631995_8cf1d3d62c_o.jpg

Check out the doubled 2x4 like it's a header. When I told them that there can't be exposed Romex, they said, "No problemo, we will drywall the garage". I said, "Don't forget to get a permit".

Last edited:
The guy at Home Depot said that this is what I needed.

10649060325_7bd59410b1_o.jpg

Last edited:
334.2 Definitions.Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. A factory assembly of two or more insulated conductors enclosed within an overall

nonmetallic jacket.Otherwise known as Romex which is a trade name.